Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Removing Integral Shower Drain Question

No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a
leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral drain.
2" galvanized pipe is leaded or epoxied into the drain and there is a
substantial leak where this short piece is threaded into an elbow. The drain
appears to be press fitted, there is no way of unthreading it that I can
see.

I am thinking I will have to sawzall or drill the drain out without damaging
the plastic and install a new threaded drain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" fired this volley in
:

There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral
drain. 2" galvanized pipe is leaded or epoxied into the drain and
there is a substantial leak where this short piece is threaded into an
elbow.

Never seen one with an "integral drain", unless you just mean a declivity
in the plastic where a drain flange and coupler may be fit from BOTH
sides, and screwed tight.

I seriously doubt a close nipple was leaded to a plastic pan...

I think I would investigate from the top, perhaps nibbling away the
strainer, if it won't remove easily. There must be a 'bulkhead' style
coupling there (two halves, clamping on opposite sides of the work, with
the top-most piece screwing into the bottom tailpiece).

I cannot imagine the plastic (which is usually vacuum-molded) being also
extruded into a proper tailpiece. Maybe a tailpiece was glued on from
the bottom?

Regardless, if there's enough meat around the opening, there should be
some sort of drain coupling you can buy to fit, even if you have to cut
out the old one -- keeping as small a diameter hole as you can muster.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

. 3.70...
"ATP" fired this volley in
:

[...]

It's a metal drain but does not appear to be a regular two piece threaded
drain. Maybe I should have said factory pre-installed, it is not truly
integral, although that is the way the cheap pans with the drains already
installed are described. The galvanized is sealed to the metal drain with
lead or epoxy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" fired this volley in
:

It's a metal drain but does not appear to be a regular two piece
threaded drain. Maybe I should have said factory pre-installed, it is
not truly integral, although that is the way the cheap pans with the
drains already installed are described. The galvanized is sealed to
the metal drain with lead or epoxy.

If that's the case, you're either going to have to grind it out a bit at
a time, to make room for a two-piece drain, or you're going to tear the
whole mess out and replace the pan, OR you can cut the drain out, re-line
the pan (which means removing the surround, and is just about as big a
job as #2, and maybe messier), and install a two-piece.

How about repairing the existing tailpiece? Any clues there?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 6, 11:32*am, "ATP" wrote:
No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a
leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral drain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 6, 10:32*am, "ATP" wrote:
No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a
leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral drain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Denis G." wrote in message
On Apr 6, 10:32 am, "ATP" wrote:
No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a
leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral
drain.
2" galvanized pipe is leaded or epoxied into the drain and there is a
substantial leak where this short piece is threaded into an elbow. The
drain
appears to be press fitted, there is no way of unthreading it that I can
see.

I am thinking I will have to sawzall or drill the drain out without
damaging
the plastic and install a new threaded drain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Maybe the drain is threaded like this one:
http://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-cont...6/dsc02570.jpg

Could be, the bottom part has no ridges at all for a wrench, which is what
made me wonder how it was installed. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" fired this volley in
:

Maybe the drain is threaded like this one:
http://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-cont...6/dsc02570.jpg

Could be, the bottom part has no ridges at all for a wrench, which is
what made me wonder how it was installed. Thanks.

Huh? I suggested that four or five exchanges ago, and you said "no way".

If it's got a cast iron tailpiece, it doesn't _need_ any wrenching flats.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

. 3.70...
"ATP" fired this volley in
:

It's a metal drain but does not appear to be a regular two piece
threaded drain. Maybe I should have said factory pre-installed, it is
not truly integral, although that is the way the cheap pans with the
drains already installed are described. The galvanized is sealed to
the metal drain with lead or epoxy.

If that's the case, you're either going to have to grind it out a bit at
a time, to make room for a two-piece drain, or you're going to tear the
whole mess out and replace the pan, OR you can cut the drain out, re-line
the pan (which means removing the surround, and is just about as big a
job as #2, and maybe messier), and install a two-piece.

How about repairing the existing tailpiece? Any clues there?

LLoyd

It's the threads that are probably rusted through. Not enough room to thread
in place. A Fernco elbow would work but that would be less than
professional. If I can get the pipe out of the drain that might be the best
solution, I can plastic weld a new pipe in place. I gave most of my lead
working tools away. Otherwise I'll be cutting and grinding it out and
replacing with a two piece. Complicating the whole job is that it will take
place on a weekend with limited access to plumbing supplies and tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

. 3.70...
"ATP" fired this volley in news:5160c6ec$0
:

Definitely not cast, it has a matte silver finish.

I mis-wrote that. I meant 'galvanized iron'. I don't even know where
that came from... I haven't seen a cast drain in 20 years (around these
parts, they rot out in about 10). You said it was a galvanized iron
tailpiece.

Iron pipe is wrenchable without flats, especially at the low torque
required to tighten one of those drains.

LLoyd

What I expected to have flats or at least nubs was the bottom half of the
drain body. It looks like the bottom of a smooth bowl. The galvanized pipe
is just a pipe that is caulked into the drain body at the top and threaded
into an elbow at the bottom. And yes, of course iron pipe is wrenchable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP wrote:

No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a
leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral drain.
2" galvanized pipe is leaded or epoxied into the drain and there is a
substantial leak where this short piece is threaded into an elbow. The drain
appears to be press fitted, there is no way of unthreading it that I can
see.

I am thinking I will have to sawzall or drill the drain out without damaging
the plastic and install a new threaded drain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The non-integral plastic shower drain I recently installed had a
threaded ring on the inside under the drain screen that compressed a
rubber gasket around the drain pipe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking