Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Removing Integral Shower Drain Question

ATP wrote:

No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a
leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type
plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted with an integral drain.
2" galvanized pipe is leaded or epoxied into the drain and there is a
substantial leak where this short piece is threaded into an elbow. The drain
appears to be press fitted, there is no way of unthreading it that I can
see.

I am thinking I will have to sawzall or drill the drain out without damaging
the plastic and install a new threaded drain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The non-integral plastic shower drain I recently installed had a
threaded ring on the inside under the drain screen that compressed a
rubber gasket around the drain pipe.