Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Removing Integral Shower Drain Question

. 3.70...
"ATP" fired this volley in
:

It's a metal drain but does not appear to be a regular two piece
threaded drain. Maybe I should have said factory pre-installed, it is
not truly integral, although that is the way the cheap pans with the
drains already installed are described. The galvanized is sealed to
the metal drain with lead or epoxy.

If that's the case, you're either going to have to grind it out a bit at
a time, to make room for a two-piece drain, or you're going to tear the
whole mess out and replace the pan, OR you can cut the drain out, re-line
the pan (which means removing the surround, and is just about as big a
job as #2, and maybe messier), and install a two-piece.

How about repairing the existing tailpiece? Any clues there?

LLoyd

It's the threads that are probably rusted through. Not enough room to thread
in place. A Fernco elbow would work but that would be less than
professional. If I can get the pipe out of the drain that might be the best
solution, I can plastic weld a new pipe in place. I gave most of my lead
working tools away. Otherwise I'll be cutting and grinding it out and
replacing with a two piece. Complicating the whole job is that it will take
place on a weekend with limited access to plumbing supplies and tools.