Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Very Light Car

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 15:58:51 -0500, Frnak McKenney
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:05:55 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 15:34:26 -0700, whoyakidding's ghost
A trike pretending to be a car so it can sidestep the issue of
crashworthiness? No problem! Insurance for a car that probably never
could have been certified crashworthy? No problem! $25k for a two
seater? No problem! Bonkers investing in vaporware? No prob.... oops,
hold on there a minute.... Perfect example of talk being cheap.

It looks like a cricket with wheel pants, which may present a
marketing problem.

This description was enough to make me Google around for a photo of
the Aptera. I found severalm an, after looking at them, I realized
that the design seemed familiar. In 1907 a gentleman named Frank Baum
wrote "Ozma of Oz" and described a rather odd race ( literally )
called the Wheelers, and their resemblance to the Aptera design is
remarkable:

Wheelers
http://oz.wikia.com/wiki/Wheelers

I can only assume Aptera had plans for an export market... grin!

LOL Disagreeable cars!

"looked and drove like a slightly jumped-up pedal car." "You could
floor the 1.4-liter four and get nothing more than a slightly louder
rattle"
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...vette-sort-of/

"Now that we've finished testing it, the car sits in our parking lot.
No one wants to drive it." "feels like a penalty box compared to most
subcompacts" "Acceleration is slow. The cramped driving position is
flawed. The ride is always busy, and the cabin is loud. Plus it
reminds us that not all small cars have nimble handling."
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...heres-why.html