Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with wall oven junction box

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have to do with heat from the oven or something else?

2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way to do it?

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is a link to the manual for my oven. Page 2 figure 1. (It is a single oven) http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/8a...c581cc49d48942

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 10:48*am, stryped wrote:
[...]

The folks you bought the new appliance from really should be doing the
installing (for insurance purposes, mainly). And especially if custom
work ends up being needed.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

You really should ask the fire marshall to come visit you and show him
this very email. (that way you'll know if this DIY of your's is koser
or not)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote in
:

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24
inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4
runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I
wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners
becasue they are non combustable?

No. If heat was an issue, the manufacturer wouldn't tell you to use 2x4s. You want something
that will hold up the weight without being crushed. Just follow the directions.

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My
current box is located on the surface of the drywall directly on
the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The
directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the
suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have
to do with heat from the oven or something else?

Beats me -- I can't see your oven, or the directions, from here. Why not call the manufacturer
and ask them?

2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the
best way to do it?

Obviously there is no *requirement* to move it, since the directions you quoted refer to the
"suggested location". If the power cord is long enough to reach the box, and the oven will fit
in the cavity, without moving the box, then leave it where it is.

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of
acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above
the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it
shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of
contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the
runners.

Again, note the word "suggested" in the directions.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I
decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add
another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the
bathroom.

Good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

It does say on the picture the locations are "suggested", however in writing it says, "NOTE: Locate an approved junction box in the suggested location a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Thanks. One last thing, should these 2x4 runners be nailed down and attached to the oven? Or can the oven just sit on them and the 2x4's just sit on the plywood?