Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Help with wall oven junction box

stryped wrote in
:

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24
inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4
runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I
wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners
becasue they are non combustable?

No. If heat was an issue, the manufacturer wouldn't tell you to use 2x4s. You want something
that will hold up the weight without being crushed. Just follow the directions.

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My
current box is located on the surface of the drywall directly on
the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The
directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the
suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have
to do with heat from the oven or something else?

Beats me -- I can't see your oven, or the directions, from here. Why not call the manufacturer
and ask them?

2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the
best way to do it?

Obviously there is no *requirement* to move it, since the directions you quoted refer to the
"suggested location". If the power cord is long enough to reach the box, and the oven will fit
in the cavity, without moving the box, then leave it where it is.

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of
acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above
the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it
shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of
contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the
runners.

Again, note the word "suggested" in the directions.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I
decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add
another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the
bathroom.

Good.