Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor pumps

My 2nd-worst nightmare ... backing the truck loaded with lumber into the
"new" shop space , I didn't notice that 12' 2x4 pushing on my compressor .
BANG , it tips over , lands on the pump pulley . Both connecting rods
snapped off , and the crank bearings pushed out the back non-pulley side .
So I've ordered a new pump , but wonder if this one is worth repairing . It
ran well , quiet , pistons are dead clean as is the bottom end . It looks
like rods are going to cost around 25-30 bucks each , and the new pump was
only $120 ...
What would you do ? fortunately I have a backup , a frankenpressor , an
oilless head mounted on an old 20 gal horizontal tank
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 10:32:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

My 2nd-worst nightmare ... backing the truck loaded with lumber into the
"new" shop space , I didn't notice that 12' 2x4 pushing on my compressor .
BANG , it tips over , lands on the pump pulley . Both connecting rods
snapped off , and the crank bearings pushed out the back non-pulley side .
So I've ordered a new pump , but wonder if this one is worth repairing . It
ran well , quiet , pistons are dead clean as is the bottom end . It looks
like rods are going to cost around 25-30 bucks each , and the new pump was
only $120 ...
What would you do ?

I'd suggest you drink a whole hell of a lot less beer and smoke a
couple fewer joints before backing lumber into your shop next time,
Snag.

fortunately I have a backup , a frankenpressor , an
oilless head mounted on an old 20 gal horizontal tank

That's lucky for you. Condolences on the screwup.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

My 2nd-worst nightmare ... backing the truck loaded with lumber into the
"new" shop space , I didn't notice that 12' 2x4 pushing on my compressor .
BANG , it tips over , lands on the pump pulley . Both connecting rods
snapped off , and the crank bearings pushed out the back non-pulley side .
So I've ordered a new pump , but wonder if this one is worth repairing . It
ran well , quiet , pistons are dead clean as is the bottom end . It looks
like rods are going to cost around 25-30 bucks each , and the new pump was
only $120 ...
What would you do ? fortunately I have a backup , a frankenpressor , an
oilless head mounted on an old 20 gal horizontal tank
--
Snag

TIG the con rods and whatever else broke back together carefully and
call it frankenpressor2?

Got Pumps ? Snag[_3_] Metalworking 7 May 4th 10 12:06 AM
vacuum pumps anyone? William Noble Woodturning 0 July 13th 08 08:09 PM
Huge progress with compressor, in RUNS and PUMPS Ignoramus20633 Metalworking 2 June 15th 08 03:17 PM
Pumps Jonathan UK diy 10 November 1st 07 12:12 AM
pumps Allan Adler Metalworking 2 December 24th 03 05:54 PM