Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pumps

Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again. I
would also like it to be able to pump water from the river to run my
garden irrigation system, which has a series of small sprinklers.

Can anyone recommend a pump at a reasonable price to meet these need?
The catalogues have so many that I don't really know where to start.

Thanks

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again. I
would also like it to be able to pump water from the river to run my
garden irrigation system, which has a series of small sprinklers.

Can anyone recommend a pump at a reasonable price to meet these need?
The catalogues have so many that I don't really know where to start.

Ring up a local pump place. We got a japanese made sump pump job for far
less than the northern tool guff. I'd have thought some sort of sump pump is
what you'd want for clearing your house out, and I'd be unsure at to whether
it's allowed to nick water out of the river to water your garden. Much less,
if you'd actually want to - a hell of a lot of rivers are full of nasty
****e, and it can move at a very slow rate when it gets caught up in
sediment, so even if your're miles from industry the water can still be
polluted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again. I
would also like it to be able to pump water from the river to run my
garden irrigation system, which has a series of small sprinklers.

Can anyone recommend a pump at a reasonable price to meet these need?
The catalogues have so many that I don't really know where to start.

Thanks

Jonathan

Not what you want to hear or being sarcastic but I know if I was living in a
flood area and knew it was going to be a reoccurance I'm afraid I would be
selling up and moving to new pastures,nothing worse than having your home
water damaged and possesions destroyed and having to go through the turmoil
and wait to get it bac to normal living requirements and then find it'll
repeat itself all over again which is apparent because of you're thinking
that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Oct, 10:35, "Doki" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Thanks for this. As a riparian owner, you are actually allowed to
abstract 20 cubic metres of water a day without a licence. Our river
is pretty clear and I would want some sort of filter to keep my
irrigation pipes clean.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George" writes:

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again. I
would also like it to be able to pump water from the river to run my
garden irrigation system, which has a series of small sprinklers.

I think these are two quite different pumping requirements,
and I doubt you'd cover both effectively with the same pump.
Bear in mind that you might not have an electricity supply
during a period of flooding, so you might want to consider
a direct petrol driven pump, although a couple of people
killed themselves from the fumes with such a pump in the
recent flooding. Installation of suitable piping so the
pump can run outside might be worth considering, but
remember to allow for a certain water level outside.

You need a licence to abstract water from a river/pond/ditch
etc. and I really doubt you would get one for this purpose
(or at least, you wouldn't be allowed to when you really
needed to).

Can anyone recommend a pump at a reasonable price to meet these need?
The catalogues have so many that I don't really know where to start.

Not what you want to hear or being sarcastic but I know if I was living in a
flood area and knew it was going to be a reoccurance I'm afraid I would be
selling up and moving to new pastures,nothing worse than having your home
water damaged and possesions destroyed and having to go through the turmoil
and wait to get it bac to normal living requirements and then find it'll
repeat itself all over again which is apparent because of you're thinking
that way.

The OP appears to be planning to prevent such damage, which
is to be encouraged.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" writes:

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As another poster has said - a licence isn't required for 'small'
abstractions of up to 20 m3/day. It used to be that the license exemption
was only for domestic or horticultural uses, but tjhis was
simplified/liberalised a few years ago,

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again.

Best move house or raise it on stilts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Following the recent flooding, we are thinking of buying a pump so
that we can pump out our ground floor if it ever happens again.

Best move house or raise it on stilts.

I have a pool at the bottom of my garden so decided to purchase and
install a system to water my garden. In my case there is a significant
rise to the main garden, also you need extra heading to operate a
watering system. I bought my system from Toolsonline, it was not cheap
but I was given excellent advice, and the system does exactly as asked.
May I suggest you contact them by email?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 31 Oct, 10:35, "Doki" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I was thinking more stuff like heavy metals and other poisonous nastys. I'd
want more than "The river's pretty clear" if I were going to be eating much
of the fruit. OTOH chances are you'll feel no negative effects unless you
manage to spend 40 years eating the stuff and then your remaining family eat
your dead body...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Jonathan writes

Thanks for this. As a riparian owner, you are actually allowed to
abstract 20 cubic metres of water a day without a licence. Our river
is pretty clear and I would want some sort of filter to keep my
irrigation pipes clean.

Hmm... now would that be enough to run a heat pump? Also does riparian
ownership allow you to put the same 20 cubic metres back?

75% of mine is treated sewage so nicely above ground water
temperatu-)

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Size 9?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Paint Pumps John Gilmer[_2_] Home Repair 2 October 9th 07 06:31 PM
vacuum pumps William Noble Woodturning 0 January 29th 07 07:04 AM
Condensate Pumps Mr Fizzion UK diy 8 October 11th 05 08:13 PM
some new vacuum pumps william_b_noble Woodturning 0 September 26th 05 07:00 AM
pumps Allan Adler Metalworking 2 December 24th 03 05:54 PM