Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking

anyone still talk about it here?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 6:05*pm, Hench wrote:
anyone still talk about it here?

I sure do. Is there some reason you can't find my posts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

Sure. What do you have on your mind?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 6:33*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

* *Sure. *What do you have on your mind?

You would have to know something about metalworking to post it,
Terrell. Your posts show you couldn't machine your way out of a paper
bag. You can't even repair your badly leaking roofs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

Boy, I had hoped after the election we would be able to get back
to it, but it doesn't seem so.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:05:26 -0400, Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

Not so much anymore.

I find myself drifting away. Tis a shame, I need to find a place to
hang out like the RCM of old.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

Boy, I had hoped after the election we would be able to get back
to it, but it doesn't seem so.

Jon

There will be metalworking talk here in the very near future. After
visiting Iggy a couple weeks ago and hauling home a rather heavy
Lagunmatic 320, I will be getting it running and checked out and then
rapidly getting into retrofitting it to PC/LinuxCNC control.

On the retrofit end, I'm looking at your PPMC line trying to determine
what I will need. It looks like it should be a relatively
straightforward retrofit since this is a 1992 vintage machine and thus
avoids some of the oddities of older machines like resolvers.

Overall machine specs:

Three axis with Baldor servos and Baldor servo amps +/- 10V input
Quadrature encoders w/ differential output with index (not sure CPR yet,
presume 2000 or better given the age of machine)
Saftronics/Yaskawa spindle VFD, 0-10V/F/R control (no Modbus)
Usual home/limit switches (9 inputs)

I will want 4th axis support, so am I looking at one of your 4 axis D/A
for the servos, and a second one for the spindle control? Same for rigid
tapping, do I need an encoder card for the 4 axes and a second for a
spindle encoder? MPG input via encoder card or DIO card? Package
discount?

Thoughts on using a touchscreen with LinuxCNC? Is it worth spending the
$500 or so on a TS monitor? Where are the best forums to review for info
on your PPMC and LinuxCNC? I looked at some of the referenced forums and
don't see recent posts in many of them.

If you want to PM me: a u x 3 4 (at) w p n e t (dot) u s
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in. I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.
I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:23:38 -0500, Ignoramus11594
wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

I may have some spindle encoder pulleys as used on OmniTurns that can
be adapted to your machine. I may even have an encoder (and the pin
outs), Ill have to dig around in my Stuff.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/10/2013 5:05 PM, Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

With adequate filters, this group is still very much on topic...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in. I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.
I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

You can run your mill from the small RPC you have, if you have good
voltage balance, just do not load the spindle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:41:54 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 3/10/2013 5:05 PM, Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

With adequate filters, this group is still very much on topic...

My filters are catching about 80% of the posts here. There's still a
whole lot of good, interesting info here, both on metalworking and
other subjects.

I gave up on the Wreck yesterday when my filters went over 90%.
It just isn't worth it.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in. I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.
I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

You can run your mill from the small RPC you have, if you have good
voltage balance, just do not load the spindle.

Actually, it should be able to do modest cuts as well, the only 3ph
things in the machine are the spindle VFD and the coolant pump, the
drives and controls are all single phase.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

On 3/10/2013 5:05 PM, Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

With adequate filters, this group is still very much on topic...

Jon

This. I still don't understand why so many folks seem to whine about
stuff that is easy to filter. It took me a day or two to build my
(NEWSPROXY) filters and they haven't changed much in years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hench" wrote in message ...
anyone still talk about it here?

It's pretty simple...

--if you don't want to hear MY political opinion, then shut the **** up about YOURS.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:12:55 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in. I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.
I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

Hey Pete,

Be afraid...be very afraid !!! I cooked up a pretty nice RPC, and the
standing/idling voltages got adjusted to some thing I think is quite
reasonable. It runs the Bridgeport,OK, and the surface grinder, but
when I hooked it to the 5HP CNC lathe...POP !!! Keeps blowing a
"control" fuse. On looking at the wiring, I note that the ONLY thing
that REQUIRES three phase is the spindle motor and the coolant pump.
Everything else is essentially single phase 220. These single phase
loads are connected to two legs, so the loads are "distributed" across
the supply to create a "balanced load". I think I should have just
hooked everything across the "hot" legs.

So, be afraid...be very afraid !! of hooking any part of the CNC that
is "electronic" to the RPC, no matter how good the balance looks.

Take care.

Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

[...]

Yes, I will ensure that all the single phase loads are on the two "real"
supply legs and the manufactured leg only goes to the VFD and coolant
pump.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

[...]

But do all drives run from L1-L2?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 3/10/2013 5:05 PM, Hench wrote:

anyone still talk about it here?

With adequate filters, this group is still very much on topic...

Jon

Lots of bullcrap, but lots of metal out there, too. I've been getting some
things done, and am on the computer less. On computers, it's not hard to
spot dog ****, nor to step over it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

[...]

I believe they do, or certainly the will if needed with a little
rewiring.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in.

See http://pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html for how
I did it on a Bridgeport 1J head. There is a heavy casting that
completely surrounds the bull gear on the spindle, just about the
only thing that always turns at spindle speed whether in high-
or low-range.
I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.

Some of us really LIKE the UI, and don't want anything changed!
We have added the mocca GUI from Germany, and Touchy, for touch screens.

I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

Really, there shouldn't be any need for a rotary converter on a CNC
machine. Use the VFD directly off the single-phase mains, and power
the servo amps and everything else from single-phase, too.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

Pete, this mill should be easy to convert, it is very straightforward
in operation. Not sure how easy it would be to mount an encoder on the
spindle, mechanically, this may be an issue.

Yep, no easy place for an encoder, but given the large size it would
seem there should be room to sneak something in.

See http://pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html for how
I did it on a Bridgeport 1J head. There is a heavy casting that
completely surrounds the bull gear on the spindle, just about the
only thing that always turns at spindle speed whether in high-
or low-range.

This machine follows the same basic design as a 2J, but given it's
5/7.5HP size it's scaled up a bit. There should be room in there, and I
have manual mills to do any fitting.

I loaded up LinuxCNC
last night and was surprised at the continued lack of UI refinement, I
would have thought in the last half dozen years it would have improved.

Some of us really LIKE the UI, and don't want anything changed!
We have added the mocca GUI from Germany, and Touchy, for touch screens.

Which one? I looked at various screen shots from the LinuxCNC site as
well as samples from the install and none of them seemed to resemble the
UI of a "real" commercial CNC control which is what I consider the
standard for how the UI should look.

I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

Really, there shouldn't be any need for a rotary converter on a CNC
machine. Use the VFD directly off the single-phase mains, and power
the servo amps and everything else from single-phase, too.

I'm not sure if the spindle VFD will take a single phase input,
certainly I didn't find mention of it in my quick review of its manual.
The coolant pump is also three phase, but perhaps I can set it up with a
static converter type setup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

[...]

Based on what I remember, they likely do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-12, Jon Elson wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

[...]

I am happy with the gui.

I've got some run caps on order to build up a 14HP RPC with a motor I
have on hand, I may see what I can powerup for testing with the 3HP RPC
I use on my lathe this weekend.

Really, there shouldn't be any need for a rotary converter on a CNC
machine. Use the VFD directly off the single-phase mains, and power
the servo amps and everything else from single-phase, too.

This is how I did it.

I wish that I avoided using neutral, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11594 wrote:

[...]

L1-L2 it is. The spindle VFD seems to not care that L3 isn't there,
presumably derate 33%, but that's still like 3HP which is plenty I
expect. The coolant pump will require some attention, perhaps a static
converter type configuration to get it going. The knee motor is 3ph
also, but the manual crank will do fine for that.

Metalworking... Pete C. Metalworking 2 September 15th 12 06:55 PM
METALWORKING priya[_7_] Metalworking 2 March 10th 12 07:32 PM
Metalworking Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 5 June 29th 10 10:25 PM
Now that's metalworking! Michael Gray Metalworking 9 August 14th 08 10:49 PM