Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Now that's metalworking!

The bummer is that it couldn't all be made in the UK - many skills and
equipment gone forever?

Mike in BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Michael Gray" wrote in message
news

The bummer is that it couldn't all be made in the UK - many skills and
equipment gone forever?

Mike in BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:39:37 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

Geez, Bill, are you saying that "Tornado" is nothing more than the
world's most expensive Windemere tea kettle?
Mike in BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

I haven't seen it since my bandwidth is limited atm. Sight glass and pet cocks are used
to verify water level in boiler. Could it be situated to me DAMN SURE there is water over
the crown sheet?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

You might knock it, but on an 8 hour journey, there's nothing at all wrong
with eggs and bacon cooked on the coal shovel and a pot of tea with water from
a boiler petcock :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

You might knock it, but on an 8 hour journey, there's nothing at all wrong
with eggs and bacon cooked on the coal shovel and a pot of tea with water from
a boiler petcock :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

One thing that struck me about steam locomotives as I sat at a local pub
where one runs past every week or so is how quiet they are compared to
the diesels that do the same run, the steam locos were dong about the
same speed as the diesels when passing through. Basically the noise of
the loco rolling on the rails and not a lot more, whereas the diesels
have far more noise from the engines.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are 3 photos at this site, choose "next" till you see the man
shoveling fuel into the fire door.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...to-action.html

Just to the left of his elbow/hip, there is a valve on a pipe coming out of
the bulkhead (with a blue handle), with the port not plumbed to anything.
This is within convenient reach of the engineer's seat.

I'm not a big train or steam fan, but I saw an engine in operation near Erie
PA pulling tourist cars (maybe 12 years ago), and it was about the same era
or maybe older, but the front end was bullet-nose-shaped.
That machine was an incredible sight to see in operation, and had a somewhat
menacing look, all black finish on everything as I remember it.

"Wes" wrote in message
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something
those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

I haven't seen it since my bandwidth is limited atm. Sight glass and pet
cocks are used
to verify water level in boiler. Could it be situated to me DAMN SURE
there is water over
the crown sheet?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mobile tea kettle, touring tea kettle, cordless portable tea kettle, etc.

I didn't see or hear a dollar figure for the 18 year project, but I did hear
the discussion about the need to have various parts fabricated in several
other countries.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Michael Gray" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:39:37 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something
those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

Geez, Bill, are you saying that "Tornado" is nothing more than the
world's most expensive Windemere tea kettle?
Mike in BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 06:58:04 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

Mobile tea kettle, touring tea kettle, cordless portable tea kettle,
etc.

I didn't see or hear a dollar figure for the 18 year project, but I did
hear the discussion about the need to have various parts fabricated in
several other countries.

The telegraph.co.uk article says 2.9 million pounds, another site
says 3 million. Around 5.7 million dollars US.
-jiw

"Michael Gray" ... wrote...
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:39:37 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the
engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something
those
Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

Geez, Bill, are you saying that "Tornado" is nothing more than the
world's most expensive Windemere tea kettle? Mike in BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:33:54 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I'm not a big train or steam fan, but I saw an engine in operation near Erie
PA pulling tourist cars (maybe 12 years ago), and it was about the same era
or maybe older, but the front end was bullet-nose-shaped.
That machine was an incredible sight to see in operation, and had a somewhat
menacing look, all black finish on everything as I remember it.

I would have seen the engine (Appalachian ?) at the Henry Ford Museum
under steam, my jaw would have joined Junior's (20 at the time) at
waist level!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

metalworking [email protected] Metalworking 0 August 1st 08 12:28 PM
some FUN-NY metalworking William Wixon Metalworking 4 February 19th 08 02:37 PM
OT ER metalworking azotic Metalworking 5 December 29th 07 10:18 PM
Metalworking Brandon Metalworking 0 July 20th 07 08:59 PM