Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Growl... Was NOT supposed to send that until I finished typing.

On the back cover of the newest edition of "New Equipment Digest" there is a
very uniquely positioned photo. someone is a marketing genius or made one
fortunate mistake.

http://digital-edition.newequipment....nt/201006#pg64

Upper right corner of the page.

Nice cut-off device. Would have worked perfectly under water to make a nice
clean cut for BP and their "cap" at the oil leak site IMHO. The biggest
challenge might have been getting the thing attached to the pipeline
securely, but I'm sure they might have been able to figure that out.

Am I the only one who thinks this device is both cool and useful for
something like the BP problem.

The marketing genius is showing it making a clean cut in a pipeline-like
situation perfectly situated over an oil and gas refinery photo.

I just can't imagine this was accidental.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/29/2010 08:04 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

If the worst of the proposed scenarios are true, BP has popped a balloon
full of gas and oil that's going to keep gushing for a very long time.
Something like this would be incidental to that.

I suspect that any tool they use down there is going to be pretty
mundane at the point where things are touching the pipeline. The fancy
parts are going to be the bits that make it work at 5000 feet under
water and 5000 feet away from the nearest live human.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 12:18*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
...The fancy
parts are going to be the bits that make it work at 5000 feet under
water and 5000 feet away from the nearest live human.
Tim Wescott

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/...ater-oil-spill

There's a good precedent; "King Kong" director Merian Cooper used his
experience running high-tech operations in difficult places when he
was Operations Officer for Chennault in China. Afterwards he joined
MacArthur's staff. Among other adventures he had created a Polish Air
Force to fight the Russians in the early 20's, and filmed a foot and
horseback migration of the Bakhtiari through the mountains of Persia.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/29/2010 11:04 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Just saw a news report.. Same thing happened 30-31 years ago to the
mexicans in the gulf. They were only drilling 200 feet down and they
attempted the same things that BP attempted.. All attempts failed.
Finally the relief wells were what stopped it.. Guess it took them 9
months to finally cap it.

couldn't find the link to the video I saw, but this talks about it..

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64N57U20100524

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"tnik" wrote in message
[...]

Google pemex blowout.

Steve

Metalworking No Name Metalworking 6 September 6th 09 12:32 AM
some FUN-NY metalworking William Wixon Metalworking 4 February 19th 08 02:37 PM
OT ER metalworking azotic Metalworking 5 December 29th 07 10:18 PM
Metalworking Brandon Metalworking 0 July 20th 07 08:59 PM
What is the most fun metalworking? Clark Magnuson Metalworking 40 June 5th 05 09:59 PM