Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic fluid cooler question

I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal
tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200
volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate. Looks like about 1/2 HP,
R-12 system.

Any guess how many BTU per hour that might be?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal
tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200
volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate. Looks like about 1/2 HP,
R-12 system.

Any guess how many BTU per hour that might be?

All heat that is added to the hydraulic fluid, is added by the
hydraulic pump motor. Therefore, the power of the motor gives you the
upper bound of the BTU that you need to remove. You need to convert
the HP to BTU, which is quite simple.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal
tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200
volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate. Looks like about 1/2 HP,
R-12 system.

Any guess how many BTU per hour that might be?

All heat that is added to the hydraulic fluid, is added by the
hydraulic pump motor. Therefore, the power of the motor gives you the
upper bound of the BTU that you need to remove. You need to convert
the HP to BTU, which is quite simple.

that would be true if the only thing going on was the fluid flowing
around, but it is also pouring over the cutting surface which is also
getting hot, so there is a second source of heat which is probably
dramatically larger - that is presuming we are talking about coolant and
not a hydraulic system
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal
tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200
volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate. Looks like about 1/2 HP,
R-12 system.

Any guess how many BTU per hour that might be?

All heat that is added to the hydraulic fluid, is added by the
hydraulic pump motor. Therefore, the power of the motor gives you the
upper bound of the BTU that you need to remove. You need to convert
the HP to BTU, which is quite simple.

that would be true if the only thing going on was the fluid flowing
around, but it is also pouring over the cutting surface which is also
getting hot, so there is a second source of heat which is probably
dramatically larger - that is presuming we are talking about coolant and
not a hydraulic system

Did you even understand what you were replying to?

"Hydraulic fluid pouring over cutting surfaces"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looking at a couple of Tecumseh condensing unit data sheets I'd say about
4500 Btu/hr for 1/2 hp, for a condenser temp of about 40F, more if higher.
Gets you in a ballpark, anyway.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal
tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200
volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate. Looks like about 1/2 HP,
R-12 system.

Any guess how many BTU per hour that might be?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Coolant systems running straight oil, especially high pressure
systems, are often built with standard hydraulic components, so I
wouldn't be surprised to to see a hydraulic fluid cooler in such a
machine. In which case, heat from the cutting operation may well be a
factor.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, mate. I did take a picture of the number plate. Lists the compressor
as 250 watts. That's about 1/3 HP, or close there of. Your information
looks useful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
Looking at a couple of Tecumseh condensing unit data sheets I'd say about
4500 Btu/hr for 1/2 hp, for a condenser temp of about 40F, more if higher.
Gets you in a ballpark, anyway.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal
tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200
volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate. Looks like about 1/2 HP,
R-12 system.

Any guess how many BTU per hour that might be?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm going back to the factory, Monday. Will check and see if this is cooling
fluid. Might be. And also check what ever else I can learn.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Coolant systems running straight oil, especially high pressure
systems, are often built with standard hydraulic components, so I
wouldn't be surprised to to see a hydraulic fluid cooler in such a
machine. In which case, heat from the cutting operation may well be a
factor.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A tecumseh aea4440YXASC condensing unit is 1/3 hp r134a, and moves about
4000 Btu/hr at a condenser temp of 40F, but strangely enough it draws just
over 7 amps at 115V which is 805 watts or over 1 hp (see
boxload.tecumseh.com for data sheets). So I guess that 1/3 hp rating is the
amount of heat it can move and the efficiency is about 30%. Which is a long
winded way of saying that if your 250 watts is the electrical input you have
a much smaller unit than this.

-----