Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic fluid question

I have a Montana tractor L44. The tranny fluid is low. Supposed to use
factory oil, but no one has any. I have a 5 gal partial of universal
premium hydraulic fluid, which doesn't tell me much. I used it in the
hydraulics, and it worked fine.

The manual suggests tranny OIL, and the geek at Napa told me they have
transmission oil at around $44 per 5 gal bucket.

How can I be sure that I get the right oil for the tranny? How many
different basic oils are there? Then you have fluids, like power steering,
but let's stick to fluids used on a loader/backhoe. I see crankcase oil,
tranny oil, and hydraulic fluid.

Can anyone give me a primer on the basics so I don't screw it up with the
wrong kind of fluid?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have a Montana tractor L44. The tranny fluid is low. Supposed to
use factory oil, but no one has any. I have a 5 gal partial of
universal premium hydraulic fluid, which doesn't tell me much. I
used it in the hydraulics, and it worked fine.

The manual suggests tranny OIL, and the geek at Napa told me they
have transmission oil at around $44 per 5 gal bucket.

How can I be sure that I get the right oil for the tranny? How many
different basic oils are there? Then you have fluids, like power
steering, but let's stick to fluids used on a loader/backhoe. I see
crankcase oil, tranny oil, and hydraulic fluid.

Can anyone give me a primer on the basics so I don't screw it up
with the wrong kind of fluid?

Steve

http://www.hfifluidpowerproducts.com...lic-Fluid.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I have a Montana tractor L44. The tranny fluid is low. Supposed to use
factory oil, but no one has any. I have a 5 gal partial of universal
premium hydraulic fluid, which doesn't tell me much. I used it in the
hydraulics, and it worked fine.

The manual suggests tranny OIL, and the geek at Napa told me they have
transmission oil at around $44 per 5 gal bucket.

How can I be sure that I get the right oil for the tranny? How many
different basic oils are there? Then you have fluids, like power steering,
but let's stick to fluids used on a loader/backhoe. I see crankcase oil,
tranny oil, and hydraulic fluid.

Can anyone give me a primer on the basics so I don't screw it up with the
wrong kind of fluid?

Steve

Tractors usually use a common sump for the trans lube and hydraulics.
I would say to use the same stuff I run in my Mahindra built Cub Cadet
which is common HyTran equivalent. I buy the Mystik brand at Tractor
Supply.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic fluid question/redux

I looked in the manual. Boy, Howdy, is there some useful stuff in there.

Recommended oil is Mobil TDH, apparently a generally used substitute. SAE
80W. Which was odd. What's in there looks a lot thinner than 80, and it is
clear. Not sure if 80 means the same as gear grease, as 90 is almost like
toothpaste.

Funny, tho, $103 at WallyWorld, and around $30 at some places. Will have to
investigate before jumping on any one thing. Tractor guy is coming Tuesday,
and we are going to power wash it off, see where it's leaking, and fix some
things that I don't like. Add a sun screen over the seat, too. They did 14
skin freezes Friday on my skull. Lucky the bad one was not a # 2. Sure
thought it was.

Anyway, will figger out the tractor, and Jim, I couldn't find anything at
that site that had TDH. Manual also said Mobil. So, should be able to find
some cross ref with it on there. RPM Tractor hyd fluid made by GS Caltrex
is also mentioned.

I'm getting close.

Steve