Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Russian doomsday retaliation weapon system

Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact
on Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:39:23 -0600, the renowned Ignoramus329
wrote:

Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact
on Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

shrug Sh*t happens.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ignoramus329
writes
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

Snip
"Dr Strangelove" rides again?
--
Chris Holford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus329" wrote in message
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump
truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that
is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

The last I heard so much water had leaked into the unmaintained silos
that the missiles had rotted away at the bottom end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus329" wrote in message
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump
truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that
is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

The last I heard so much water had leaked into the unmaintained silos
that the missiles had rotted away at the bottom end.

Yes, I also hope that their system is broke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:39:23 -0600, Ignoramus329 wrote:

Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter] attack
against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia and the
missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact on
Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

Or, more likely, a strike from China after some territorial spat.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus329" wrote in message
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact
on Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

i\

Might be better off with the cockroaches re-evolving.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus329" wrote in message
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact
on Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

i\

Might be better off with the cockroaches re-evolving.

That would only replace the missing liberals.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-21, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

"Ignoramus329" wrote in message
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact
on Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

i\

Might be better off with the cockroaches re-evolving.

I hope that their system is broke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-21, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

"Ignoramus329" wrote in message
Here's a scary thought that unsettled me while driving my dump truck.

Apparently, the Russians have a "dead hand" retaliation system that is
activated by a nuclear explosion sensor, and launches a [counter]
attack against the US in case if it detects nuclear attack on Russia
and the missile base cannot communicate with Moscow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I was thinking that in case of a particularly unlucky asteroid impact
on Russia, if communications are lost with Moscow, and the impact is
recognized as a nuclear attack, then Russia could launch its missiles
and attack the USA. And that would trigger a global nuclear destruction.

An unsettling thought.

i\

Might be better off with the cockroaches re-evolving.

I hope that their system is broke.

In my mind, Russian **** is simple and robust in design. Built for
neglect!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2013 9:50 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

In my mind, Russian **** is simple and robust in design. Built for neglect!

And to be repaired by peasants with hammers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 2/22/2013 9:50 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

In my mind, Russian **** is simple and robust in design. Built for neglect!

And to be repaired by peasants with hammers.

If the 'Party' trusted you with a hammer?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2013 1:46 PM, Richard wrote:
On 2/22/2013 9:50 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

In my mind, Russian **** is simple and robust in design. Built for
neglect!

And to be repaired by peasants with hammers.

One of my wood block suppliers has a MiG-25 sitting next to his office.
He thinks he could just fill the tanks and fly it away...after 5 years
of sitting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:52:03 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 2/22/2013 1:46 PM, Richard wrote:
On 2/22/2013 9:50 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

In my mind, Russian **** is simple and robust in design. Built for
neglect!

And to be repaired by peasants with hammers.

One of my wood block suppliers has a MiG-25 sitting next to his office.
He thinks he could just fill the tanks and fly it away...after 5 years
of sitting.

And you can't dissuade him from this notion? Ask him if he could do
that with his Lada sedan - then point out that the battery will be
dead, the brake system contaminated and rusty... Then multiply that
by 100 for the jet. And you can't just run to the corner Auto Parts
for the fresh bits needed to get it going.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/23/2013 10:57 AM, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:52:03 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 2/22/2013 1:46 PM, Richard wrote:
On 2/22/2013 9:50 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

In my mind, Russian **** is simple and robust in design. Built for
neglect!

And to be repaired by peasants with hammers.

One of my wood block suppliers has a MiG-25 sitting next to his office.
He thinks he could just fill the tanks and fly it away...after 5 years
of sitting.

And you can't dissuade him from this notion? Ask him if he could do
that with his Lada sedan - then point out that the battery will be
dead, the brake system contaminated and rusty... Then multiply that
by 100 for the jet. And you can't just run to the corner Auto Parts
for the fresh bits needed to get it going.

-- Bruce --

He says it was preped for long-term storage...when he bought it for scrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 03:52:03 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Well, then! Why didn't you say so! :-D

He still has to do is strip it down to the bare airframe anyway, just
to wash the Cosmoline out of every nook and cranny. And flush and
refill all the drained hydraulic, fuel and brake systems, and grease
and oil 5,000 points.

And he'll *still* find lots of stuff that's gone bad from sitting,
although maybe not as much from the mothballing preservatives

And he'll have to do a full teardown on the jet engines and the APU
(if equipped) - Unless he has the full log books, he has to create new
ones that have Zero Hours on the engines and that means rebuilds.

And he'll still need a new Russian spec Ni-Cad aircraft battery, and
an Auxiliary Power Unit with all the adapters to plug into the plane
and charge the batteries, perhaps a Huffer to get the engines going,
and the fill adapter to get the jet fuel from a Civilian aircraft
tanker into a Military fill fitting on the wings...

And all the Avionics & Radios will need to be repaired or upgraded to
be usable. Half of it will probably need to be swapped out for
American civil aviation versions that actually work - and it'll
probably drop right in, because that's what they copied.

And he needs to get a Russian Military ejection seat and parachute
system recertified and packed, and the access ladder to climb in...

It takes a Lot Of Crap to actually put a plane into the air.