Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aloris type tp - wedge or piston?

On Monday, October 18, 1999 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Leslie Watts wrote:
I noticed that the phase II lathe tool post sets are on sale at Enco.
AXA with 5 holders is $159.99 but it is piston type rather than wedge.
That wouldn't be a bad price for just the holders alone.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are piston type less rigid
or repeatable?
--
Leslie M. Watts
ITW Advanced Technology Group

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:36:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, October 18, 1999 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Leslie Watts wrote:
I noticed that the phase II lathe tool post sets are on sale at Enco.
AXA with 5 holders is $159.99 but it is piston type rather than wedge.
That wouldn't be a bad price for just the holders alone.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are piston type less rigid
or repeatable?
--
Leslie M. Watts
ITW Advanced Technology Group
(847)657-4559
http://www.netcom.com/~leswatts/leswp.html

the piston type is considerably less rigid than the wedge type, but it
may not matter on a machine that uses AXA size tooling. if you look at
a piston, the tool is being located on the angle surface on each side
and on the piston. Tyhe flat surfaces are pulled apart. The wedge
pulls the tool holder down into the post giving a full contact on the
whole Z shaped area.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a Phase II wedge type on a 13" SB. Don't recall, but think it was
BXA size. For what I was doing on that lathe, I think would have
preferred the piston type. Or spent more time trying to figure out why
the wedge one had a distinctly mushy feel at lock up. It was rigid
enough, but just hated the feel of it compared to a real Aloris.

When I get my next engine lathe, I'll make sure I get a genuine Aloris.
Or the Hardinge QC body/holders, which I really like. They are not,
however, all that common, and not cheap.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David,

Replied direct to your question, but email bounced. Here's my reply:
--------------------------------

The Hardinge tool post I'm referring to is rather rare. Here's one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDINGE-COPY-QUICK-CHANGE-TOOLPOST-/190694620700?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item2c66 48fe1c

I have a holder with a cut knurling setup, and have been thinking about
just making the tool post. I borrowed one from a friend and drew it up.
Easier to make than a piston or wedge type! Not sure about rigidity, but
since I don't see doing heavy turning, it would work fine for me.
And as it is Hardinge, there's really no question it's a valid approach,
within it's design limits. But I'd have to make most of my holders too,
as again, they're pretty rare and -not- cheap! Likely end up with an
Aloris body and import holders...

The multi-fix is a NICE setup, but not cheap. I also once borrowed the
smallest Tripan body and a holder, and drew it up thinking I might scale
up. But gave that idea up after seeing the Hardinge setup.

Regards,

Jon