Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Aloris type tp - wedge or piston?

I had a Phase II wedge type on a 13" SB. Don't recall, but think it was
BXA size. For what I was doing on that lathe, I think would have
preferred the piston type. Or spent more time trying to figure out why
the wedge one had a distinctly mushy feel at lock up. It was rigid
enough, but just hated the feel of it compared to a real Aloris.

When I get my next engine lathe, I'll make sure I get a genuine Aloris.
Or the Hardinge QC body/holders, which I really like. They are not,
however, all that common, and not cheap.

Jon