Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling Grade 8 bolts

On Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:07:29 AM UTC+5, Ignoramus19864 wrote:
Are grade 8 bolts drillable? I just realized that bolts that I bought
from McMaster this afternoon for making fittings are grade 8, high
strength, and am a little worried that perhaps they are going to be
difficult to drill (lengthwise).

“Shanghai Pan China Fastening Systems Co., Ltd” . (ISO Certified 9001-2008). We are specialized in producing 1/8”-4” rolled carbon steel pipe Nipples which are widely used in chemical, gas, petrochemical, ship building and fire control industry throughout the world.
Our nipples will benefits your customers as follows:

1. Easy & much convenient tightening increases over 50% efficiency up in installation because of less friction of the rolled thread and 50% - 70% less sealant.
2. No re-call work anymore because of the perfect thread profile being always excellent connection with the fittings.
3. At least 15 times longer life than traditional cutting nipples because of stronger mechanical property and much higher rust-resistance.
4. Zero maintenance on the rolled thread connection pipe system.

I have attached our Product Range Image & Catalogs.

Standard: ASTM, ANSI, ASME, DIN, JIS, BS, GB, EN, UNI

If you are interested we can send you samples of our products

We are supplying our products in U.S.A, if you are interested to be our distributor let me know

“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking” by Henry Ford.

Waiting for your positive reply.

For further Information Company Profile:-
http://www.tradekey.com/company/Pan-...d-1172905.html
Web DHS
http://www.rolledpipenipples.com/
Product Showcase
http://www.tradekey.com/company/Pan-...d-1172905.html

Thank-you.
Regard,
Sibtain Taqi
Telephone: +92-21-111-111-539 Ext:-943
Skype: - sibtain.taqi
Fax: 0086-21-61462118

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 31, 5:25*pm, Ignoramus18008 ignoramus18...@NOSPAM.
On 2013-01-31, John B wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:56:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:07:29 AM UTC+5, Ignoramus19864 wrote:
Are grade 8 bolts drillable? I just realized that bolts that I bought
from McMaster this afternoon for making fittings are grade 8, high
strength, and am a little worried that perhaps they are going to be
difficult to drill (lengthwise).

I believe that Grade 8 fasteners are in the RC 33 range. You should be
able to drill them with normal high speed drills.
It might be advisable to look up the proper cutting speed and not
exceed it :-)

I looked at the subject and thought, what a naive, inexperienced
question. Of course they can be drilled. And then I looked closer and
it was me in 2007 asking this question .

You're questions are just as naive and clueless today. No growth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've drilled High grade HSS+Colbolt+MM. With a solid carbide drill.
It was Mo-Max cutter. I was making a forming bit for my metal lathe.

The trick is to have a solid and firm hold. Drill press.
Drive the drill in with firm pressure and when the drill gets
red hot - and the spot on the metal does - the drill goes through
it nicely. I left the drill in the chuck afterwards - I didn't
want to shatter it nor melt something.

It was a 1/8" drill. Carbide comes in all sizes.

Martin

On 1/31/2013 9:35 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"John B." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:56:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:07:29 AM UTC+5, Ignoramus19864 wrote:
Are grade 8 bolts drillable? I just realized that bolts that I bought
from McMaster this afternoon for making fittings are grade 8, high
strength, and am a little worried that perhaps they are going to be
difficult to drill (lengthwise).

I believe that Grade 8 fasteners are in the RC 33 range. You should be

That's minimum, 39 is max.

able to drill them with normal high speed drills.
It might be advisable to look up the proper cutting speed and not
exceed it :-)

I probably would proceed as if it were 4130 at 39 Rc

--
Cheers,

John B.