Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18008 Ignoramus18008 is offline

Default Drilling Grade 8 bolts

On 2013-01-31, John wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:56:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:07:29 AM UTC+5, Ignoramus19864 wrote:
Are grade 8 bolts drillable? I just realized that bolts that I bought
from McMaster this afternoon for making fittings are grade 8, high
strength, and am a little worried that perhaps they are going to be
difficult to drill (lengthwise).

I believe that Grade 8 fasteners are in the RC 33 range. You should be
able to drill them with normal high speed drills.
It might be advisable to look up the proper cutting speed and not
exceed it :-)

I looked at the subject and thought, what a naive, inexperienced
question. Of course they can be drilled. And then I looked closer and
it was me in 2007 asking this question .

Yeah, this thread was resurrected by "sibtaint" just so he could use it
as a base for his spam. (Asumming it's a "he".) Bob

Since I killfile all Google news posts, I did not even realize that. Thanks