Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery pipe?

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:59:07 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Jan 22, 7:26*pm, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Jan 22, 5:31*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

On Jan 22, 6:49 pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
The old days? I replaced my water heater a year ago.

Just in case there is some confusion, this apparent pressure relief thingy
is on the cw LINE, not on the tank. My tank has a built-in one, as well,
as
I'm pretty sure was mandated by law at least 20 years ago.

So I'm going to scrap the one on the line.

What did you pay? I think I'm on borrowed time...

So you have a relief thingy on the LINE, and not on the heater itself?
EA

$237, plus $33.98 for the flex hose connector kit, in December 2011 at
Lowes. The relief valve is on the side of the tank near the top. The
tank
that leaked was installed in 1987. The thermostat is at 120F which may
extend the life of the elements and the tank. When I need hotter water
scrub pots I heat a teakettle.

That's a great price -- 40-50 gal, I presume.
I got my 50 gal kenmore a bunch of years ago on sale for $160, now I see
them for close to and over $1000!!!
At both Sears, HD.... wtf????
I'll check out Lowes. I really should start preparing for when mine
goes.... it's way overdue....
--
EA

new tanks are more efficent and safer too.....

although electric tanks are 100% efficent less standby losses newer
foam insulation cuts operating expenses dramatically

I wonder what the bottom line is, cost-wise? *Or better yet,
cost-to-own-over-10-years- wise, what with electricity being more expensive,
but then more efficient. *There should be boucou tests on this.
Sounds like a good thread..... *
I'd consider an electric. *But I think the regenerative time of gas is
faster?

Funny, gas seems to predominate in water heaters, electric in clothes
dryers.....
Poss. cuz the H20 combustion product dudn't help the drying process??
--
EA- Hide quoted text -

Depends on where you are, gas is popular where gas is cheap, *the
folks had gas water heating and a gas clothes dryer for 40 years, most
of the neighbors had the same. *Newer parts of town had houses that
were all-electric, there was that scare back in the '70s where we were
running out of NG and they stopped permits for it.

Electricity is going to go nowhere but up, what with power plants
being shut down per Big O's war on coal. *Unless he puts the skids on
natural gas exploration, gas will continue to be the cheaper option
along the pipelines.

Stan

Back in the 50/60s, here in the PNW, the power companies were
promoting "all electric" houses. People with them nowadays are having
to find other methods of heat or "bite the big one". I have
a neighbor with one of them and they basically froze in the winter due
to the cost of heat, Current owners put in a pellet stove last year.

Harry K

Friends bought a new, all electric home in the mid/late seventies.
after abought five years of fighting high humidity problems, they
broke down and went with gas fired, forced air - A/C system.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Mystery pipe? Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 72 January 28th 13 02:14 PM
the mystery pipe?? Allie UK diy 12 June 15th 06 10:36 PM
mystery pipe in outside loo [email protected] UK diy 6 September 27th 05 01:13 AM
Mystery 3rd Pipe Séan Connolly UK diy 10 September 19th 05 10:02 AM
Mystery pipe Frank Mulvenny UK diy 12 August 26th 03 11:19 PM