Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5 hurt in accidental shootings at 3 U.S. gun shows

On Jan 22, 1:37*pm, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 13:37:50 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:13:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:14:18 -0500, wrote:

Except gun ownership will go up - and IF those buying their first guns
don't know how to handle them, and/or are idiots (like a former vice
president) more people will bw shot and injured or killed.

Believe me, when their fellow gun owners see something stupid being
done, (waving the loaded weapon around, pointing it at people, putting
their finger on the trigger when they aren't going to kill someone,
etc.) they'll get -right- into the face of the idiot and make sure he
never does that again. *Always. *I guarantee it. *We don't suffer
fools much down here.

Clare, if you ever take a gun handling course, you'll understand a
****load more than you do now about everything and you won't be
looking as naive. *Spend a day in the U.S. and do that sometime, eh?
Around here, the courses cost $25USD. *Dunno 'bout back east/up north..
It's a worthy goal, believe me, for every citizen of the world. *Don't
just be afraid of guns. *Learn about them so you're safer & smarter.

I'm not afraid of them, and to have a gun in Canada (legally) you
NEED to take a gun handling course. *In the USA you don't - so in many
cases you have people with guns in the house that do NOT know how to
use them safely (or one person does, but 5 others do not)) and the gun
is not properly stored (unloaded and locked).

What good is an unloaded weapon thats locked up? *Some of my toys are
indeed locked in the vault(s) but a goodly number of others are not.

As for other gun owners seeing them waving them around or whatever,
that is unlikely to happen if the gun is kept in the house for
"protection".

Protection if locked away and unloaded?

Back when I was a kid on the farm those courses were not required and
the .22 was handy in the barn to look after varmints. Loaded, and not
locked - usually above the door where kids could not reach it - and
often hidden where it could not be seen.

A bit different than a 9mm or .38 handgun in the bedside table.

So one should tell the bad guys to "please stand by while I unlock my
firearm" ?

The accidental gun death rate has been falling since 1930 and US
accidental gun deaths per year were down to 613 by 2007, out of the
301,579,895 people in the USA, according to the CDC. For comparison,
there were 29,846 accidental deaths by poisoning in 2007, again
according to the CDC. Note that it is extremely easy to prevent
accidental gun deaths by following Jeff Cooper's Four Rules Of Gun
Safety.

Thats the TOTAL number of accidental deaths, from age 0-100

And they are much lower now.

But I agree...there should be far far more training of children in
firearms safety in the US. * The Excellent Eddie Eagle program is
taught in many schools..and forbidden in many schools in the Blue
Zones, which simply shows how mentally ill those people are.

I agree..firearms safety is a requirement for children. They grow up
to be adults and things learned as a child generally carry forwards.

Shrug

Gunner

1. Lie
6. Then everyone must conform to the lie- Hide quoted text -

So you admit that you own guns and DO NOT PROPERLY STORE THEM.

Law enforcement...are you listening?

TMT