Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bernzomatic torches

On Jan 15, 5:19*pm, wrote:
I bought another one of these: A torch attached to a 5' hose allowing
one handed operation (lighting and, more importantly, extinguishing
the flame). The hose is thick, unwieldy and hard to control. It has a
nasty habit of swinging into the work field. A risk of hose damage is
significant.

I e-mailed Bernzomatic to ask about repairing the hose if such
accident should occur. I am told it cannot be done.

Has anyone tried it? It seems ridiculous to have to replace the whole
kit, hose, regulator and torch, if one gets a small nick/burn in the
hose.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Propane-rated hose is readily available from the welding supply here,
if not somewhere else. On my setup, gas regulation is on the gas
bottle, so hose clamps would be perfectly feasible to use for holding
the replacement hose in place, no fancy crimp ferrules needed, it's
low pressure. YMMV. 5' of hose is sometimes too much, other times
not enough. And the bottle needs a foot to keep from tipping over,
Coleman sells such a thing for their propane lanterns.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Jan 15, 5:19?pm, wrote:
[...]

Offhand, does anybody know the actual difference between acetylene+propane
vs just acetylene or propane rated fuel hose?

They look the same at first glance, but there's got to be something else
different between them.