Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bernzomatic torches

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2013-01-16, wrote:
I bought another one of these: A torch attached to a 5' hose allowing
one handed operation (lighting and, more importantly, extinguishing
the flame). The hose is thick, unwieldy and hard to control. It has a
nasty habit of swinging into the work field. A risk of hose damage is
significant.

I e-mailed Bernzomatic to ask about repairing the hose if such
accident should occur. I am told it cannot be done.

Has anyone tried it? It seems ridiculous to have to replace the whole
kit, hose, regulator and torch, if one gets a small nick/burn in the
hose.

You asked specifically about repairing the *hose*. Bernzomatic
would be fools to try to suggest any way to do that -- because there is
too much chance of a failed repair resulting in a fire.

Now -- *replacing* the hose itself might be possible -- if you
have the tools to crimp the ferrules on to hold a replacement hose on
the exiting fittings. (I've not seen one of these, but I strongly
suspect that they are made using crimp fittings.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'm not familiar with this torch assembly...

However, if it uses the fitting I'm thinking of, The crimped/swaged
sleeve part can be cut/mangled off, the barbed fitting/s pulled out of
the old hose/s, & installed in the new with clamps.

Once a hose assembly gets lunched, take it apart & have a look... you
have nothing to loose.

As always, use good judgment, common sense and all that.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:35:37 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

On 2013-01-16, wrote:
I bought another one of these: A torch attached to a 5' hose allowing
one handed operation (lighting and, more importantly, extinguishing
the flame). The hose is thick, unwieldy and hard to control. It has a
nasty habit of swinging into the work field. A risk of hose damage is
significant.

I e-mailed Bernzomatic to ask about repairing the hose if such
accident should occur. I am told it cannot be done.

Has anyone tried it? It seems ridiculous to have to replace the whole
kit, hose, regulator and torch, if one gets a small nick/burn in the
hose.

You asked specifically about repairing the *hose*. Bernzomatic
would be fools to try to suggest any way to do that -- because there is
too much chance of a failed repair resulting in a fire.

If they really cared about safety, they might use a different hose.

The easiest way to judge the quality of a power tool (or anything
portable) is by flexing the power cord.

flexible cord with no memory = good
tough, thick permanently in the wrong shape cord = junk

Amen to that! None of the other air/gas torches I have seen have
stupid hoses like this one.

One of the reasons I have asked this question is to find out how the
hose is constructed: How much damage can one do the rubber outer
covering before it becomes an issue? Is there some sort of armoring
layer underneath the outer?

As somebody pointed out the hose is so stiff and heavy that it causes
the cylinder to tip over. The kit comes with a "holster" to attach to
one's belt. I am way ahead of them on this one and made my own.
Believe me, it is not the complete answer either. On their holster
there is a tube which is supposed to house the torch nozzle when not
in use. While one is wearing the holster, this tube is millimeters
from your body - no way am I inserting the hot torch nozzle into it
risking burns! I made a stand for the cylinder which also has a
holster for the torch nozzle.

One of the reasons I bought this torch is the ability to extinguish
the flame using the hand that holds the torch. Previously I used a
torch with a shorter hose which had to be extinguished by turning the
regulator off on the cylinder - less than ideal! However, this would
give me the option to swap the hoses if it was necessary and feasible.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2013-01-16, wrote:
[...]

Campbell River, BC- Hide quoted text -

Most of that hose has multiple layers and the center one has a woven
cloth reinforcement. Can't say as I've played with propane hose
except as assembled units. I'd assume it would be the same
construction.

The torch head I have came with a small wire stand, presumably to fix
the thing into position while manipulating the work piece(s), but it
would also work to hold the torch away from flammables/meltables while
it was cooling off. Didn't have a holster with mine when I got it,
it's a bit retro anyway, no integral sparker for lighting off. Hot
little sucker, though, day after I got it, I had to use it to get
brake drums off the b-in-l's F150, well rusted to the hubs. Ran it
around the stud circle a few times on the first one and it went ponk
and came loose. Had used a 10 lb sledge on it previously and it
wasn't budging. I think it'd be a pretty good setup for soldering
copper plumbing up in spaces where head+tank just wouldn't fit with
the regular sort of torch. Cheaper than a Prestolite setup, too.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2013-01-16, wrote:
[...]

Works good for plumbing - but not as good (or hot) as MAPP, (or
acetrelene)