Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Took some photos in the shop today....

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:26:28 -0800, "Fred C. Dobbs"
wrote:

On 12/28/2012 9:08 PM, Gunner wrote:
Pardon the dust and a little rust.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...ShopDec282012#

Just looks like junk. No wonder you can't earn a living with any of it.

Earn a living? What part of "hobby shop" did you fail to understand?

Oh..thats right...all of it was beyond you.

If its not based on modeling clay..you arent allowed to touch it.

And only edible clay at that.

Gunner

One could look inside my shop, and see "worthless junk", and then others see
just what they're looking for, and get out that fat wallet.

It's all in the eye, and it takes a while to learn that.

I got a new neighbor. He's a former biker, but likes to tinker with motors.
So far, he has fixed two ATVs. Cost - zero. Cost at a shop, probably a
couple of hundred. I got him five mowers, an edger, and a gas trimmer,
either free, or $5-10 at yard sales. We started a coffee can, and both
kicked in a Franklin. Now I'm going to bring in stuff, he's going to get it
running, and we'll raid the coffee can as needed. So far,we got about a
$500 inventory, $175 in the coffee can, and an outlay of about $25.

Some people would look at this stuff and see junk. I see money. And I
ain't above wheeling in to a curb on trash day, or dumpster diving to save a
treasure.

A clean shop is the sign of a sick mind.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-29, Steve B wrote:
[...]

I am the same way 100%.

And the best is, walk into a shop, see treasures, but the owner sees
only junk. "I can buy that pile of metal in the corner and on two
pallets for $30".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6127" wrote

And the best is, walk into a shop, see treasures, but the owner sees
only junk. "I can buy that pile of metal in the corner and on two
pallets for $30".

I once bought two pallets of welding cable from the US Govt. for $40. My
truck barely made it back to Vegas from the Nevada Test Site, it was so
heavily loaded. I guess no one needed any welding cable, or just saw junk.
I made out good on that one.

Bring on the junk.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus6127" wrote

And the best is, walk into a shop, see treasures, but the owner sees
only junk. "I can buy that pile of metal in the corner and on two
pallets for $30".

I once bought two pallets of welding cable from the US Govt. for $40. My
truck barely made it back to Vegas from the Nevada Test Site, it was so
heavily loaded. I guess no one needed any welding cable, or just saw junk.
I made out good on that one.

Bring on the junk.

Yeah. At a forklift dealership auction, I bought four crates of
forklift service/maintenance manuals for $50.

The other people were scrappers interested in metal only.

Let me just say that I am making good on this one too, books sell
daily for very nice prices. It is not just a buy and resell, it is a
source of income.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:

snip
Bring on the junk.

Yeah. At a forklift dealership auction, I bought four crates of
forklift service/maintenance manuals for $50.

The other people were scrappers interested in metal only.

Let me just say that I am making good on this one too, books sell
daily for very nice prices. It is not just a buy and resell, it is a
source of income.

I wonder if it would be worth scanning or photographing the manuals before
selling. Make electronic copies and sell the manuals on CD for equipment
that's out of date.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:

snip
Bring on the junk.

Yeah. At a forklift dealership auction, I bought four crates of
forklift service/maintenance manuals for $50.

The other people were scrappers interested in metal only.

Let me just say that I am making good on this one too, books sell
daily for very nice prices. It is not just a buy and resell, it is a
source of income.

I wonder if it would be worth scanning or photographing the manuals before
selling. Make electronic copies and sell the manuals on CD for equipment
that's out of date.

It is a good question. I thought about it briefly, and decided against
it. First, the copyright belongs to Hyster (Nacco) and they sell these
manuals. These are not orphan products without a corporation to
support them.

Hyster is an existing brand and you can buy the manuals that I am
selling, directly from them or dealers, for about $300 apiece. So, to
me, photographing and copying them would carry a lot of legal risk,
since it violates their copyright.

Additionally, there is not much money that I can make from selling CDs
and I find CD selling to be distasteful.

What remains is scanning them and releasing them clandestinely
(remember that it is a copyright violation) to the public.

I do not feel that there is enough public good in this to spend a
fortune on scanning old manuals. And it will make it harder to sell
the physical manuals that I have.

I have this website, liberatedmanuals.com, but those manuals are
supposed to be in public domain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:

snip
Bring on the junk.

Yeah. At a forklift dealership auction, I bought four crates of
forklift service/maintenance manuals for $50.

The other people were scrappers interested in metal only.

Let me just say that I am making good on this one too, books sell
daily for very nice prices. It is not just a buy and resell, it is a
source of income.

I wonder if it would be worth scanning or photographing the manuals before
selling. Make electronic copies and sell the manuals on CD for equipment
that's out of date.

RogerN

Frankly..thats what I would have done and I suggested it to him at
least once.

Hire a neighbor kid or have his wife scan the stuff, on its own hard
drive, then burn em to CD on request and mail em out.

Gonna have some that have few if any buyers..but will have multiple
sales of others.

And one should scan ALL documents per model and put em on a DVD rather
than Parts on 1, Maint on another etc. All at individual prices.

Guys on the net do that and then wonder why nobody will buy em.

Makes guys like me scan all the manuals we have and post em for free.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:

snip
[...]

Want anymore manuals, both industrial and military..give me a link to
send to.

Ive got about 15 gigs worth. And gun manuals..about 500 or so.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:
snip
[...]

I think that this much data, is easiest to send by mail. I can pay you
for DVD media and such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:
snip
[...]

Pay? Whatever for? I dont charge for this kind of thing. Why would I?

Its for free access to the masses.

Id no more charge for that then I would for rescuing a dog or cat or
other animal from traffic. or loaning a drill bit to someone.

Hell..Id probably simply copy it all off on a small cheap hard drive
and ship it to you. It would be easier than spending the time making
up a ****load of DVDs

Or a flash drive or two.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:
snip
[...]

Sounds great and I can return the drive back to you once I am done
copying.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:
snip
[...]

Ok, Ill start figuring out what to send. I have a number of books that
Ill need to not include..as they came from some of the binary
groups..and wouldnt be out of copywrite as of yet. And not for many
years...Shrug

email me a shipping addy

gunnerasch AT gmail DOT com

Gunner

1. Lie

Shop Photos (was New Photos TM Table Grinding Job) Pete Keillor Metalworking 16 March 30th 12 01:11 AM
New shop photos steamer Metalworking 4 October 26th 08 03:41 AM
New Shop photos Lenny Woodworking 3 March 29th 05 02:34 AM
Shop Made Mini-Chuck Photos Ken Vaughn Woodturning 6 March 1st 05 06:29 PM
Olin College of Engineering shop photos axolotl Metalworking 0 January 19th 04 01:08 AM