Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13070 Ignoramus13070 is offline

Default Took some photos in the shop today....

On 2012-12-31, RogerN wrote:

On 2012-12-30, Steve B wrote:

snip
Bring on the junk.

Yeah. At a forklift dealership auction, I bought four crates of
forklift service/maintenance manuals for $50.

The other people were scrappers interested in metal only.

Let me just say that I am making good on this one too, books sell
daily for very nice prices. It is not just a buy and resell, it is a
source of income.

I wonder if it would be worth scanning or photographing the manuals before
selling. Make electronic copies and sell the manuals on CD for equipment
that's out of date.

It is a good question. I thought about it briefly, and decided against
it. First, the copyright belongs to Hyster (Nacco) and they sell these
manuals. These are not orphan products without a corporation to
support them.

Hyster is an existing brand and you can buy the manuals that I am
selling, directly from them or dealers, for about $300 apiece. So, to
me, photographing and copying them would carry a lot of legal risk,
since it violates their copyright.

Additionally, there is not much money that I can make from selling CDs
and I find CD selling to be distasteful.

What remains is scanning them and releasing them clandestinely
(remember that it is a copyright violation) to the public.

I do not feel that there is enough public good in this to spend a
fortune on scanning old manuals. And it will make it harder to sell
the physical manuals that I have.

I have this website, liberatedmanuals.com, but those manuals are
supposed to be in public domain.