Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS -- my 17.5 HP phase converter

Due to having moved into a warehouse with 800a 240v 3 phase, I no
longer need this phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5-Phase-Converter/

It has two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP, nicely put in a welded roll around
cabinet from a big Ferrups UPS. They start in sequence, providing for
smoother startup process.

Works great and has a very nice phase balance. You can run big stuff
from it, such as welders, plasma cutters, or other metalworking
machines.

I have run all of the above from it.

Has a 50A and 20A 3 phase outlets and a single phase convenience
outlet.

Price is $750 and assumes local pick-up in Lisle, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 15:00:16 -0600, Ignoramus21868
wrote:

Due to having moved into a warehouse with 800a 240v 3 phase, I no
longer need this phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5-Phase-Converter/

It has two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP, nicely put in a welded roll around
cabinet from a big Ferrups UPS. They start in sequence, providing for
smoother startup process.

Works great and has a very nice phase balance. You can run big stuff
from it, such as welders, plasma cutters, or other metalworking
machines.

I have run all of the above from it.

Has a 50A and 20A 3 phase outlets and a single phase convenience
outlet.

Price is $750 and assumes local pick-up in Lisle, IL.

Im curious Iggy..on your Ebay auction account..you have no
auctions..but all Buy it nows. And in many cases...a bit (!) high...

Hows that working out for you?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Due to having moved into a warehouse with 800a 240v 3 phase, I no
longer need this phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5-Phase-Converter/

It has two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP, nicely put in a welded roll around
cabinet from a big Ferrups UPS. They start in sequence, providing for
smoother startup process.

Works great and has a very nice phase balance. You can run big stuff
from it, such as welders, plasma cutters, or other metalworking
machines.

I have run all of the above from it.

Has a 50A and 20A 3 phase outlets and a single phase convenience
outlet.

Price is $750 and assumes local pick-up in Lisle, IL.

Im curious Iggy..on your Ebay auction account..you have no
auctions..but all Buy it nows. And in many cases...a bit (!) high...

Hows that working out for you?

It works out OK.

I drop most prices automatically by 1.5 percent per week.

I also sell a considerable amount off ebay.

I sell appx. 15% of my inventory per month.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Interesting.

Id never seen 2000+ items on a site before, each of them Buy it now.

How much for one of the old push button phones? Standard single line,
nothing fancy.

I like the old solid phones, not the crappy cordless ones, unless you
have a super duper ultra reliable one available.

I snagged a new wifi device from Sprint last month
Sprint Phone Connect 2

Plug a standard phone into it and its unlimited talk, $20 a month.
Totally portable. Take it and plug it into any 110vt power source.
Sprints latest offering. I tossed all my old phones a few years ago.
Ive got a fax machine on it but it wont send faxes for some reason.

It does have a nice backup battery in it so will stay alive for about
a day and a half ( I tested ) and allows about 2 hrs of talk time.

So the "commune" here has a common phone for everybody to use and it
was cheap enough.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't bother with his listings, since it's all dumped into one
catagory. The things I've stumbled across in his listings had lousy,
small photos so I kept looking and bought from someone else. I bought
five Fluke 8050A meters over the last two years and have repaired four
of them. The one he had listed was so dirty you couldn't see what shape
the case was really in and it was one of the highest priced ones on Ebay
at the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

When I have something that is suitable for auction, I list it as such.

Also, keep in mind that I accept best offers.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My images are 1936 x 1296.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The items I looked at were tiny, in the center of those 1936 x 1296.
The focus was poor, as well. The beer can next to the item doesn't
help, either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21868 wrote:
Due to having moved into a warehouse with 800a 240v 3 phase, I no
longer need this phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5-Phase-Converter/

It has two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP, nicely put in a welded roll around
cabinet from a big Ferrups UPS. They start in sequence, providing for
smoother startup process.

Works great and has a very nice phase balance. You can run big stuff
from it, such as welders, plasma cutters, or other metalworking
machines.

I have run all of the above from it.

Has a 50A and 20A 3 phase outlets and a single phase convenience
outlet.

Price is $750 and assumes local pick-up in Lisle, IL.

I've seen this before.

that's some terrifying wiring going on in these photos.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5...r/dscf0015.jpg

ground terminals clamped over nylon cable clamps? WRONG.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5...r/dscf0011.jpg

it's clockwise for tightening stuff in the US. I'm not sure what's going
on those those capacitors with the white leads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-28, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus21868 wrote:
Due to having moved into a warehouse with 800a 240v 3 phase, I no
longer need this phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5-Phase-Converter/

[ ... ]

I've seen this before.

that's some terrifying wiring going on in these photos.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5...r/dscf0015.jpg

ground terminals clamped over nylon cable clamps? WRONG.

It *may* be that there is an extra nut above the cable clamp and
below the terminal, in which case it is not as bad -- but since the
cable clamp is doing nothing anyway, it should have been removed, along
with that short white wire -- left over from the BEST Power Systems UPS
whose chassis was used.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5...r/dscf0011.jpg

it's clockwise for tightening stuff in the US. I'm not sure what's going
on those those capacitors with the white leads.

No crimped terminals there -- but the white wires appear to be
solid anyway, so they would not work well with the crimp terminals used
there.

I suspect that last capacitor was added in the process of
tuning. And they all really needs clamp to mount those capacitors
firmly as well -- especially since it will be exposed to the vibration
of the idler motors. (A good reason for not using solid wire, as well,
as that flexes and breaks with vibration over time.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-28, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-12-28, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus21868 wrote:
[...]

It worked out the first time, tuning was not necessary. Two capacitors
start the 10 HP motor nicely. The other two capacitors are added to
the other side of the three phase when the second motor is turned on.

I do not think that any solid wires are used there.

The wiring is not perfect, it was one of my first projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-28, Cydrome Leader wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Are you sure? The white ones joining the second capacitor to
the first look solid.

The wiring is not perfect, it was one of my first projects.

Before you started collecting good crimpers? :-)

But mostly, I think that the big capacitors do need to be firmly
clamped down. That sort used to be sold with two metal plates about
3/4" wide with two fingers bent 180 degrees to hook over the rim, and a
spot-welded flattened end of some allthread (about 8-32 or 10-32) which
would go through the metal plate and nuts would pull them down to hold
the caps in place.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 27, 10:43*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus21868 wrote:
[...]

What's terrifying is that now that he knows he's wrong he still won't
fix it and will sell it this way.

Quality and ethics aren't something he understands or cares about.

What he understands is try and buy everything as cheap as possible. He
once tried buying **** from me and failed miserably because he has no
concept of quality and I don't sell high quality stuff dirt cheap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/29/2012 5:47 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

But mostly, I think that the big capacitors do need to be firmly
clamped down....

Where they gonna' go?????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 08:34:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/29/2012 5:47 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

But mostly, I think that the big capacitors do need to be firmly
clamped down....

Where they gonna' go?????

Beamed out into a nun's bathtub? Horrifying!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

On 12/29/2012 5:47 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

? But mostly, I think that the big capacitors do need to be firmly
? clamped down....

Where they gonna' go?????

Where they don't belong. Where else COULD they go? Have you ever
seen the damage when one of this big caps explode? Some have PCBs, wich
could require you to hire a hazmat team to clean up the site.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, dpb wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:47 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

But mostly, I think that the big capacitors do need to be firmly
clamped down....

Where they gonna' go?????

Since he is selling it (or trying to) they would not like
shipping very much.

And -- with the idler motors adding vibration (they are i the
same housing) having the caps free to move a bit flexes the wires and
likely introduces failures there.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-30, dpb wrote:

On 12/29/2012 5:47 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

* * * *But mostly, I think that the big capacitors do need to be firmly
clamped down....

Where they gonna' go?????

* * * * Since he is selling it (or trying to) they would not like
shipping very much.

* * * * And -- with the idler motors adding vibration (they are i the
same housing) having the caps free to move a bit flexes the wires and
likely introduces failures there.

* * * * Enjoy,

--
* * * * * * * * * Remove oil spill source from e-mail
*Email: * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

How much time and money would it take to fix this thing so that it's
right?