Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Google plus metalworking community

For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community'
that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup.
(I guess time will tell if Google's automatic spam filtering system is up to the
task).

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike B wrote:

For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community'
that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup.
(I guess time will tell if Google's automatic spam filtering system is up to the
task).

Mike

Isn't Google shutting down Google+ fairly soon?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:34:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Mike B wrote:

For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community'
that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup.
(I guess time will tell if Google's automatic spam filtering system is up to the
task).

Mike

Isn't Google shutting down Google+ fairly soon?

Google plus is really just a collective brand name for a bunch of minor services
which happens to include 'communities', photos, circles etc.. The major
services are Gmail, maps etc.
The Google plus brand name may disappear one day, but I doubt they will delete
the data as that's what they use to attract viewers and therefore generate
revenue through paid advertising.

Once you have logged onto a Gmail account you effectively have a Google Plus
account so in practical terms they are the same thing. You can enter bogus
information in your Google Plus profile if you are worried about identity theft
etc..

The community I've created is unmoderated. Whether or not Google's own filtering
system is smart enough to distinguish between metalwork related topics and other
junk remains to be seen. The Google Plus woodworking community currently has 374
members and the content looks to be 100% on topic as far as I can tell.
This rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup is perhaps 10% on topic on a good day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mike B wrote:

For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community'
that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup.
(I guess time will tell if Google's automatic spam filtering system is up to the
task).

Mike

Isn't Google shutting down Google+ fairly soon?

Google plus is really just a collective brand name for a bunch of minor services
which happens to include 'communities', photos, circles etc.. The major
services are Gmail, maps etc.
The Google plus brand name may disappear one day, but I doubt they will delete
the data as that's what they use to attract viewers and therefore generate
revenue through paid advertising.

I was told that they were shutting down their google+ experiment
which is the feature that you're using some time in 2013. I no longer
have the message that had the information.

Once you have logged onto a Gmail account you effectively have a Google Plus
account so in practical terms they are the same thing. You can enter bogus
information in your Google Plus profile if you are worried about identity theft
etc..

I have had a Gmail account for years, am on Google+ and have a
Veteran's blog that needs a lot more time than I can give it.

The community I've created is unmoderated. Whether or not Google's own filtering
system is smart enough to distinguish between metalwork related topics and other
junk remains to be seen. The Google Plus woodworking community currently has 374
members and the content looks to be 100% on topic as far as I can tell.

Wait till the trolls find it.

You can create private newsgroups on Google Groups, but most people
find the user interface to be so screwed up that they won't use it.

This rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup is perhaps 10% on topic on a good day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mike B wrote:

[...]

This is incorrect. They never planned to shut Google+.

Google Plus is a very high profile project to being social
interactions and community aspect to all google services.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/21/2012 6:38 AM, Mike B wrote:

Once you have logged onto a Gmail account you effectively have a Google Plus
account so in practical terms they are the same thing.

I think Google+ is something extra, over and above a regular Google
account. I signed up a while back. And then unlike Facebook, found all
sorts of crap being posted from and about, people I know nothing about.
Worse, somehow people were able to spam my calender with bull****.
Spent a bit of time trying to find ways to prevent all this, if it was
doable, Google sure didn't make it easy. So I bailed on the + account,
and have had no further intrusions into my calender....

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 21, 4:42*am, Mike B someone@noplace wrote:
For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community'
that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup.
(I guess time will tell if Google's automatic spam filtering system is up to the
task).

Mike

Usenet is dead for metalworking, CADCAM, etc. You have the right idea
but I think you're starting your group in the wrong place. At present
LinkedIn seems to be the best place to start a discussion group. I
started a LinkedIn group called CADCAM Technology Leaders. My CADCAM
Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn now has 400 members and is
comprised of some of the most respected people in the CADCAM industry.
I expect it will soon become the leading group on the internet for
detailed and objective CADCAM discussion. CADCAM Technology Leaders
isn't hindered by advertising or CADCAM company censorship that's so
rampant on forums like Practically Worthless Machinist, CNC
Advertising Zone or eMastercam.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mike B wrote:

For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community'
that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup.
(I guess time will tell if Google's automatic spam filtering system is up to the
task).

I dislike Google (and other web-based fora), so I will probably
not be there.

[ ... ]

Once you have logged onto a Gmail account you effectively have a Google Plus
account so in practical terms they are the same thing. You can enter bogus
information in your Google Plus profile if you are worried about identity theft
etc..

The community I've created is unmoderated. Whether or not Google's own filtering
system is smart enough to distinguish between metalwork related topics and other
junk remains to be seen.

I have my doubts -- since it seems to still be discussions, and
I'm not at all sure that Google can tell the difference between politics
and metalworking. :-)

The Google Plus woodworking community currently has 374
members and the content looks to be 100% on topic as far as I can tell.

Hmm ... are there provisions for banning someone? Or is the
woodworking one moderated?

This rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup is perhaps 10% on topic on a good day.

FWIW -- today (after not reading yesterday for various reasons)
I found that 6.79% was left after the killfile/filtering did its think
and I unblocked one discussion as wrongly killed. (I recently changed
settings a bit so I see what is killed, and can unkill before it takes
effect.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-21, Mike B someone@noplace wrote:

The Google Plus woodworking community currently has 374
members and the content looks to be 100% on topic as far as I can tell.

Hmm ... are there provisions for banning someone? Or is the
woodworking one moderated?

That's a shame; I for one absolutely refuse to give Google my identity,
and they are very steadfast about acquiring it to use their "free"
services.

Same thing with facebook groups.

Regular web-based forums aren't a problem, as they generally accept a
pseudonym, while they still have the moderation to keep the trolls away.

It's getting to the point where most people are so used to losing their
privacy online that they just don't see any problem in handing it over
to Google, Facebook, et al, to the point where I wonder how long it will
be possible to maintain privacy when online.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:51:01 -0800
Jon Danniken wrote:

snip
It's getting to the point where most people are so used to losing their
privacy online that they just don't see any problem in handing it over
to Google, Facebook, et al, to the point where I wonder how long it will
be possible to maintain privacy when online.

Hmm... I think that people are so used to lying, making stuff up that
they don't even consider telling the truth anymore...

Maybe you're too honest Jon. Not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but
I suspect the phony/bogus names, addresses, profiles far outnumber the
real.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:13:57 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer
wrote:

[...]

The target audience appears to be people who re-sell and support CAD software.
There is little or no mention of anything to do with metalworking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The target audience are people who use CADCAM software. The majority
of people that engage in discussions on my LinkedIn group CADCAM
Technology Leaders are end users of CADCAM Software. The group now has
well over 400 members and is growing very rapidly.

Suggest you start a group for machining on LinkedIn if you aren't
happy with what exists now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

What advantage does Linkedin have as a host for a discussion group compared to
Google Plus?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

LinkedIn is a professional networking site. It has been accepted and
is used by professionals who wish to network far better than Usenet,
Google Plus or advertising driven machinist / CADCAM forums will ever
be.

Even before Usenet and advertising driven machinist / CADCAM forums
started dying, they never succeeded in attracting the kind of
professionals that are now what LinkedIn calls "connections". My
"connections" and the membership of my LinkedIn group CADCAM
Technology Leaders reads like a who's who of the CADCAM business.

As it pertains to what you wish to do, if you wanted say machine tool
company employees to post to your machinist forum, you would have a
much better chance of having that happen on LinkedIn because that is
the site they have already decided to use / that's where they are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 05:03:40 -0800 (PST), Jonathan Banquer
wrote:

What advantage does Linkedin have as a host for a discussion group compared to
Google Plus?

LinkedIn is a professional networking site. It has been accepted and
is used by professionals who wish to network far better than Usenet,
Google Plus or advertising driven machinist / CADCAM forums will ever
be.

How does a hobby group such rec.crafts.metalworking fit into this business to
business model? To me they seem like separate worlds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
What advantage does Linkedin have as a host for a discussion group compared to
Google Plus?

LinkedIn is a professional networking site. It has been accepted and
is used by professionals who wish to network far better than Usenet,
Google Plus or advertising driven machinist / CADCAM forums will ever
be.

How does a hobby group such rec.crafts.metalworking fit into this business to
business model? To me they seem like separate worlds.

Hobbyists often buy and use the same machinist tools that
professionals do.

Hobbyists often need the same kinds of skills and methods
professionals do.

Professionals often like to help hobbyists.

Retired professionals often become hobby machinists as they have never
had the time to make the stuff they wanted.

Professionals often make machinist tools that they sell to hobbyists.

I could go on and on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What advantage does Linkedin have as a host for a discussion group compared to
Google Plus?

LinkedIn is a professional networking site. It has been accepted and
is used by professionals who wish to network far better than Usenet,
Google Plus or advertising driven machinist / CADCAM forums will ever
be.

How does a hobby group such rec.crafts.metalworking fit into this business to
business model? To me they seem like separate worlds.

Please don't feed the troll, Mike. But many of us here own businesses
and "do" LinkedIn. I wasn't aware of their hosting discussion groups
for metalworking, but after checking, I found 35 of them there!
Amazing. www.linkedin.com , Groups menu, Group Directory.
I doubt they have the panache of beautiful "this area".

--
You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore
the consequences of ignoring reality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Go **** yourself, Larry. You have little or nothing of value to add to
this discussion as your post above shows. Further, you have no
successful LinkedIn group of your own.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What advantage does Linkedin have as a host for a discussion group compared to
Google Plus?

LinkedIn is a professional networking site. It has been accepted and
is used by professionals who wish to network far better than Usenet,
Google Plus or advertising driven machinist / CADCAM forums will ever
be.

How does a hobby group such rec.crafts.metalworking fit into this business to
business model? To me they seem like separate worlds.

Please don't feed the troll, Mike. But many of us here own businesses
and "do" LinkedIn. I wasn't aware of their hosting discussion groups
for metalworking, but after checking, I found 35 of them there!
Amazing. www.linkedin.com , Groups menu, Group Directory.
I doubt they have the panache of beautiful "this area".

From what I understand..Ive been a lInkedin member since its startup.
Shrug...I only recently posted my data and let it do its thing with
it.

I pay less attention to it than I do Facebook. Facebook, I get on
about every 2-3 Weeks and save some of the better photos and whatnot.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Twenty years ago or so these were metal working and had professional
members who helped each other. One company provided a data base for
information to be stored for all to see - this being a news feed and
not a graphic or attachment group. This was long before Yahoo groups,
and even Google. Pre-web for a lot of it.

Nasty politics took over and the metal workers vaporized - as did good
data and help.

Sad indeed.

Martin

Community Workshop? Jimbo Woodworking 26 October 14th 09 04:00 AM
Google groups archives missing on rec.crafts.metalworking Clark Magnuson Metalworking 7 August 13th 07 12:35 AM
Google Group posts - tell Google about it? Chris Bacon UK diy 9 May 25th 06 03:34 PM
community mortgages? Sarah Home Ownership 4 November 17th 05 01:36 PM