Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted diesel motor pulleys

We bought two Chevy Kodiak dump trucks, with large stainless salt
spreaders, from CTA (Chicago Transit Authority). Both trucks are
equipped with Caterpillar 3116 diesels, snow plow mounts, hydraulic
PTO, and stainless hydraulic salt spreaders.

Three things sweeten this deal:

*) The stainless salt spreaders will probably pay for the purchase
*) They have almost brand new Bridgestone 11R22.5 truck tires, same as
our semi tractor, where the tires are very worn
*) One truck has 9,998 miles (true) and the other has a little under
15,000 miles. I believe this, because they belonged to CTA and they
would not mess with odometers.

We have no idea whether they can even run.

The trucks, though, are not without problems. They clearly sat around
for years. The biggest problem is that there is a lot of rust on the
main belt pulleys. So much rust that I am afraid to even try to run
these engines, as the rust may shred the rubber belts.

Is there any "easy" trick to clean that rust on the pulleys off,
without taking the engine out?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26227 wrote:

[...]

I don't think there is an "easy" way. I suspect that a small right angle
air die grinder with a wire wheel would to the job with the belts
removed. Good deal on the tires, that will save a few bucks and keep the
DOT folks off you back in any inspections.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus26227 wrote:

[...]

Yes, plus these tires will last a long time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:40:06 -0600, Ignoramus26227
wrote:

We bought two Chevy Kodiak dump trucks, with large stainless salt
spreaders, from CTA (Chicago Transit Authority). Both trucks are
equipped with Caterpillar 3116 diesels, snow plow mounts, hydraulic
PTO, and stainless hydraulic salt spreaders.

Three things sweeten this deal:

*) The stainless salt spreaders will probably pay for the purchase
*) They have almost brand new Bridgestone 11R22.5 truck tires, same as
our semi tractor, where the tires are very worn
*) One truck has 9,998 miles (true) and the other has a little under
15,000 miles. I believe this, because they belonged to CTA and they
would not mess with odometers.

Cool, 'cept for them being Chebbies. I'm a Ford and IH man.

We have no idea whether they can even run.

Not cool.

The trucks, though, are not without problems. They clearly sat around
for years. The biggest problem is that there is a lot of rust on the
main belt pulleys. So much rust that I am afraid to even try to run
these engines, as the rust may shred the rubber belts.

Is there any "easy" trick to clean that rust on the pulleys off,
without taking the engine out?

A straight wire brush will remove the worst of it (about 80%) in a few
minutes. (Well, it does in all the dry climates I've lived in, and up
here in So. OR. I guess I have no idea about wet, salty climates like
yours. blink of realization)

Brush, blow off, crank the engine a hair, repeat. The rest will rub
off in a few minutes of running.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.

We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters!
-- Larry Jaques
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/10/2012 9:40 PM, Ignoramus26227 wrote:

The trucks, though, are not without problems. They clearly sat around
for years. The biggest problem is that there is a lot of rust on the
main belt pulleys. So much rust that I am afraid to even try to run
these engines, as the rust may shred the rubber belts.

Is there any "easy" trick to clean that rust on the pulleys off,
without taking the engine out?

I'd seriously doubt the rust will cause any problems whatever and
certainly not enough to damage/ruin a belt unless it's almost gone,
anyway...it's more likely if these haven't run in years that the belts
will have deteriorated on their own, anyway. (Although I just cranked
up the old ensilage blower w/ it's matched set of three last summer
after it had sat in the open for probably 25 yr and while they lost some
wedges, they ran long enough to let me run a few loads of straw bales
thru it to break them up for lawn straw reseed cover... ) But they'd
never serve under real load and it's likely yours won't either if try to
actually put trucks in service but will probably survive long enough for
proof-of-purpose demo's...

Blow and brush off what you can if you think you must, but I'd just give
'em a go...

As others noted along w/ you, the tires alone are probably worth the
deal--good score!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Take the belts off and use a twisted/knotted wire brush on the
grooves = preferably with the engine turning. It is not the safest
thing to do - but it is likely the most effective.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:57:29 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

A set of really rusty pulleys can totally destroy a belt in a matter
of seconds - or minutes if you are lucky. At the very minimum you
want to remove the belt and SCRAPE the pulleys
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I probably would just replace with new belts; rusty pulleys probably won't really hurt anything...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7a0_1257885585

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are chemical means to remove rust, but would probably require an
extended soak, meaning they'd have to be removed. Would also leave
pits which would tear up the belts. Best bet is remove the belts, see
what can be done with wire brushes and/or abrasive cloth. Would leave
a smoother surface.

If the engines sat that long, I'd be worried that the cylinder(s) with
open valves would have the rings rusted to the cylinder walls. Have
seen that happen with old tractors sitting out. With gas engines, one
solution for that is to pull plugs and run some penetrant and/or oil
into the cylinders, then try barring the engine over by hand. Kind of
hard to pull a spark plug on a diesel, though.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26227 wrote:
[...]

Being in a salt/rust area myself I can say there isn't a real easy way
BUT...

You can take an angle grinder with a wire wheel and get the worst of it
off. This also takes the burr off the edges of the rust pits and that
helps some more.
IF you can take the pulleys off this is a LOT easier and you can take
them into a blast cabinet, then paint them.

I get to do this quite a lot with snow equipment that has sat around for
a year or so. Stuff that has ever seen salt will REALLY rot quick, even
those stainless bodies come apart rather quickly with salt.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, one of these trucks works, starts and runs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Depends on HOW rusty. Just a film of rust? No problem. But if there is
a block of rusty scale over 1/8" built up between the belt and the
pully, the belt will come off just about as quick as that guy with the
VW. - and not in as good shape.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7a0_1257885585

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:50:04 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

There are chemical means to remove rust, but would probably require an
extended soak, meaning they'd have to be removed. Would also leave
pits which would tear up the belts. Best bet is remove the belts, see
what can be done with wire brushes and/or abrasive cloth. Would leave
a smoother surface.

The pits won't be a serious problem

If the engines sat that long, I'd be worried that the cylinder(s) with
open valves would have the rings rusted to the cylinder walls. Have
seen that happen with old tractors sitting out. With gas engines, one
solution for that is to pull plugs and run some penetrant and/or oil
into the cylinders, then try barring the engine over by hand. Kind of
hard to pull a spark plug on a diesel, though.

Pull the injectors or (on some engines) the glow plugs. As long as
the complete intake system was still installed there is a good chance
they will still be OK. If the intake snorkel is off or damaged, or the
filter is damaged or removed, all bets are off. It COULD have a mouse
nest in the cyl - as well as all the rust mouse-**** causes.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 16:53:47 -0600, Ignoramus19474
wrote:

OK, one of these trucks works, starts and runs.

Does it run well? Or simply "runs"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, one of these trucks works, starts and runs.

Does it run well? Or simply "runs"?

We started it, never drove anywhere, and one of the hoses started
leaking trans fluid, so we shut it off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, one of these trucks works, starts and runs.

Does it run well? Or simply "runs"?

We started it, never drove anywhere, and one of the hoses started
leaking trans fluid, so we shut it off.

No loping, no non-diesel rattling, no clunks, bangs, thumping sounds
etc etc?

The hose is a minor issue.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, one of these trucks works, starts and runs.

Does it run well? Or simply "runs"?

We started it, never drove anywhere, and one of the hoses started
leaking trans fluid, so we shut it off.

No loping, no non-diesel rattling, no clunks, bangs, thumping sounds
etc etc?

The hose is a minor issue.

It sounded very nicely. I agree that the hose is minor, but there are
probably several rotted hoses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK, one of these trucks works, starts and runs.

Does it run well? Or simply "runs"?

We started it, never drove anywhere, and one of the hoses started
leaking trans fluid, so we shut it off.

No loping, no non-diesel rattling, no clunks, bangs, thumping sounds
etc etc?

The hose is a minor issue.

It sounded very nicely. I agree that the hose is minor, but there are
probably several rotted hoses.

If it was used to spread salt..count on it. And they may look fine.
So the only way to tell is to grab them and bend them several times.

Hoses however are cheap maint.

Sounds like you did ok.

And the other one?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The hose is a minor issue.

However, it was a snowplow....so expect major rust damage.
--
A host is a host from coast to