Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hi voltage blues

The power to my shop runs on the high side. This has caused problems
with the spindle drive in one of my machines. Thanks to Paul Drahn I
will have some transformers soon to rectify, oh wait, it's AC, so
remedy is a better word choice, the power problem. In the meantime,
with the 8 inch chuck on the lathe, the power keeps spiking past the
limit and the lathe shuts down. So to lower the voltage I need to run
the manual lathe and the Bridgeport mill. Sheesh! I won't be getting
the transformers until the monday after Thanksgiving because of
various reasons, none of which have to do with the kind transformer
donor Paul Drahn or his son who lugged the things 1/12 hours closer
to me. And even if I had them I'm too busy to take the time to shut
the machine down to wire the voltage changers in. Fortunately all the
power consumed by the extra motors running contributes to heating the
shop so I can't complain too much. I just wanted to vent. And speaking
of the word vent, when I was a child my brothers and I would look
through encyclopedias at the pictures (artists conceptions) of
dinosaurs. There would be descriptions printed by and on the pictures
with arrows pointing to the descripted item. Eye, tail etc. We used
to laugh at the arrow pointing to the anus because it always said
"vent". So vent has always made myself and my brothers laugh. And we
are all pretty close to 60 years old.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in
:

The power to my shop runs on the high side.

What is "high"?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18/11/2012 8:41 AM, wrote:
[...]

Same juvenile humour abounds here........

We had pet budgies, the arrow pointing to the arse was always labelled
"vent".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/17/2012 4:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hi, Eric.
Mark is in Washing DC, right now and won't get back home Wednesday, but
I guess you knew that already.

Comment on your description of dinosaurs. Mammals have separate exits
for solid and liquid waste. Anus for solid and urinary tract for liquid.
Birds, amphibians, and other species, including dinosaurs do not have
separate systems. All waste is eliminated by same mechanism. So a vent
is an appropriate name.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:13:15 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 11/17/2012 4:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

I know. But it's still funny when you are 6 years old. And we (my
brothers and I) haven't grown up since. We still laugh at just the
punch lines from some jokes we have heard the first time 30 years ago.
ERic

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have fluorescent lights in your shop,
turn them off and see if the VFD still trips
out. Mine sometimes does with them on, doesn't
with them off.

I know it's clutching at straws, but it won't
cost anything to try it.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:57:42 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

If you have fluorescent lights in your shop,
turn them off and see if the VFD still trips
out. Mine sometimes does with them on, doesn't
with them off.

I know it's clutching at straws, but it won't
cost anything to try it.

I just tried your suggestion. Didn't work. I'm sure the problem is the
voltage is too high. The VFD says the voltage is too high. The specs
for the VFD say the voltage in my shop is too high. But it was worth a
try. Of course, if it was the lights then I would have had to try to
figure out a way to filter out the noise. I understand transformers
better than filters.
Eric
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you have fluorescent lights in your shop,
turn them off and see if the VFD still trips
out. Mine sometimes does with them on, doesn't
with them off.

I know it's clutching at straws, but it won't
cost anything to try it.

I just tried your suggestion. Didn't work. I'm sure the problem is the
voltage is too high. The VFD says the voltage is too high. The specs
for the VFD say the voltage in my shop is too high. But it was worth a
try. Of course, if it was the lights then I would have had to try to
figure out a way to filter out the noise. I understand transformers
better than filters.

Haven't you told your electric company of the problem and asked why
they are oversupplying your electricity? They might be able to fix
that for you with a call. Just cross your fingers.

http://tinyurl.com/a3pmclx PG&E's statement for reference

Unfortunately for me the voltage falls within the tolerance that the
power company follows. It's really too bad that all my machines and
all the controls have the ability to take the higher voltage. The only
problem is the VFD inside one machine. I was able to change
transformer taps and make adjustments to current sensing devices in
the machine but the VFD was built to accept voltages no higher than
240 volts.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One of my former employers made monitoring instruments that were
installed in power generating plants. They used Sola transformers on
the inputs to all instruments to condition the incredibly dirty power
provided by the customers. you need to condition the power to the one
sensitive device not everything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bummer.

It's really too bad that all my machines and
all the controls have the ability to take the higher voltage. The only
problem is the VFD inside one machine. I was able to change
transformer taps and make adjustments to current sensing devices in
the machine

At least you didn't have problems with all your machines, although
that would have made your BBxfmr decision a bit easier.

but the VFD was built to accept voltages no higher than
240 volts.

Have you talked with the mfgr of the VFD to see if the range can be
widened within your unit? If not, I guess your only fix is to get a
buck/boost xfmr and buck the power down to whatever the VFD is comfy
with.

Or you could turn on every other machine in the shop to see if it
would load the circuit down a skosh. GD&R

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How about a bucking coil? Grab a transformer with a 240 volt primary
and a 5 volt secondary, rated for your full device load. Connect the
secondary in series with the load - one way will add 5 volts, the
other will subtract 5 volts (buck boost). Run the primary off a Variac
and you can adjust the amount of buck/boost you require. Dead simple,
compact, and cheap. You don't need a transformer with a secondary
capable of handling 240 volts at full load.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's sorta what I'm doing now. I need to run at least 1 3 hp motor
when using the collet on the lathe and when the 8 inch chuck is
mounted I need 5 hp of idling motors. But I get the xmfrs Monday! I
can hardly wait.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm getting 3 buck/boost xmfrs Monday courtesy of Paul Drahn.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SNIP
One of my former employers made monitoring instruments that were
installed in power generating plants. They used Sola transformers on
the inputs to all instruments to condition the incredibly dirty power
provided by the customers. you need to condition the power to the one
sensitive device not everything.

That's the plan. I'll have the proper power conditioning devices
Monday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

With the relatively low cost of VFDs these days, replacing the VFD with
a more tolerant model might be an option.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:37:26 -0600, "Pete C."

wrote:

[...]

Hopefully the buck transformers I'll be wiring in mext week will work.
An 11 kw VFD won't be cheap.
Eric

Blues mabhanisi blues Home Repair 11 March 23rd 12 03:47 PM
Blues mabhanisi blues Home Ownership 0 March 22nd 12 06:59 PM
Mismatched voltage wired in parallel. What is resulting voltage? Thomas G. Marshall Electronics 19 November 15th 07 01:01 PM
Low voltage lights - voltage drop/cable size [email protected] UK diy 2 October 31st 05 09:54 AM
Euro(UK) voltage P991 Dell UltraScan Trinitron can this be jumpered to US voltage? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 21st 05 04:52 AM