Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Hi voltage blues

On 11/17/2012 4:41 PM, wrote:
The power to my shop runs on the high side. This has caused problems
with the spindle drive in one of my machines. Thanks to Paul Drahn I
will have some transformers soon to rectify, oh wait, it's AC, so
remedy is a better word choice, the power problem. In the meantime,
with the 8 inch chuck on the lathe, the power keeps spiking past the
limit and the lathe shuts down. So to lower the voltage I need to run
the manual lathe and the Bridgeport mill. Sheesh! I won't be getting
the transformers until the monday after Thanksgiving because of
various reasons, none of which have to do with the kind transformer
donor Paul Drahn or his son who lugged the things 1/12 hours closer
to me. And even if I had them I'm too busy to take the time to shut
the machine down to wire the voltage changers in. Fortunately all the
power consumed by the extra motors running contributes to heating the
shop so I can't complain too much. I just wanted to vent. And speaking
of the word vent, when I was a child my brothers and I would look
through encyclopedias at the pictures (artists conceptions) of
dinosaurs. There would be descriptions printed by and on the pictures
with arrows pointing to the descripted item. Eye, tail etc. We used
to laugh at the arrow pointing to the anus because it always said
"vent". So vent has always made myself and my brothers laugh. And we
are all pretty close to 60 years old.
Eric

Hi, Eric.
Mark is in Washing DC, right now and won't get back home Wednesday, but
I guess you knew that already.

Comment on your description of dinosaurs. Mammals have separate exits
for solid and liquid waste. Anus for solid and urinary tract for liquid.
Birds, amphibians, and other species, including dinosaurs do not have
separate systems. All waste is eliminated by same mechanism. So a vent
is an appropriate name.

Paul