Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rest in peace Sergent Major Plumley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/11/2012 9:35 AM, Richard wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley

I like reading about guys like that, but the Wikipedia article is an
excellent if unintended illustration of exactly what's wrong with
Wikipedia. The writing is just execrable, and the reason for the
article's existence is conspicuously missing. Several tens of millions
of Americans have been in the country's military, and that alone does
not merit a page in an encyclopedia.

Bad writing examples:

Plumley was born in Shady Spring, West Virginia, the second son
and fifth child of coal miner Clay Plumley (born 1879) and his
wife Georgia (born c. 1895), both of West Virginian stock.

Despite popular belief,[citation needed] Plumley was not a member
of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WWII and there is
no evidence to suggest this is the case.

"West Virgina 'stock'"? "Popular belief"? Come on.

This entire page should be deleted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"George Plimpton" wrote in message
[...]

If you find fault with the article, why complain to us? You can edit the
article yourself. I doubt you will since I still believe you are a chatbot
specifically designed to infuriate anyone who falls for the trap of
continuing a conversation with you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:35:43 -0500, Richard
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley

Sam Ellliot played him in the movie "we were soldiers". i still think
of the line,"Anybody calls me Gandpa, I'll kill them"

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley

We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As taps began to play.

The Chaplin led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,

Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore.

THE SHEEPDOG’S PRAYER

The Knights of Olde were Men of Honor
Who used their Might For Right!
Today they’re known as Sheepdogs
Those who carry on the fight.

I am a tired old Sheepdog,
The guardian of my flock.
I keep the predators at bay
And stand watch around the clock.

Please stop the Sheep from pulling my teeth.
I’ll need them for the fight,
When the hungry Wolves come calling
Some dark and deadly night.

I pray I never need my gun
But someday if I do,
May my cause be just!
My draw be quick!
And my aim be ever true!

Heaven holds a special place
For those who do the deed,
Defenders of the innocent
In their hour of need.

May the Sheep someday be grateful.
There’s a debt they cannot pay,
To the Sheepdogs who lay it on the line
Each and every day.

I am proud to be a Sheepdog.
I’ve done my very best.
I’ll stand my watch until my Maker
Calls me home to rest.

But when I meet Saint Peter,
There’s just one request I’ll make:
“Please let me spend Eternity
Standing guard at Heaven’s Gate.”

And my personal favorite

"It is the Soldier (Warrior), not the reporter, Who Has
given Us Freedom of Press. It is the Soldier, Not the
poet who has given us Freedom of Speech. It is the
Soldier, not the campus organizer that has given us the
Freedom to Demonstrate. It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
that has given us the Right to a Fair Trial. It is the Soldier,
Who Salutes the Flag, Serves Under the Flag, and Whose
Coffin is Draped by the Flag, Who gave the protester the
right to burn."

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire