Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Rest in peace Sergent Major Plumley

"George Plimpton" wrote in message
On 10/11/2012 9:35 AM, Richard wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley

I like reading about guys like that, but the Wikipedia article is an
excellent if unintended illustration of exactly what's wrong with
Wikipedia. The writing is just execrable, and the reason for the
article's existence is conspicuously missing. Several tens of millions of
Americans have been in the country's military, and that alone does not
merit a page in an encyclopedia.

Bad writing examples:

Plumley was born in Shady Spring, West Virginia, the second son
and fifth child of coal miner Clay Plumley (born 1879) and his
wife Georgia (born c. 1895), both of West Virginian stock.

Despite popular belief,[citation needed] Plumley was not a member
of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WWII and there is
no evidence to suggest this is the case.

"West Virgina 'stock'"? "Popular belief"? Come on.

This entire page should be deleted.

If you find fault with the article, why complain to us? You can edit the
article yourself. I doubt you will since I still believe you are a chatbot
specifically designed to infuriate anyone who falls for the trap of
continuing a conversation with you.