Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's up with this?

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

What is the big difference in Led's? They are both battery powered. The
ones for trailers and trucks are beautiful and functional, but cost a
bundle.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2012 12:12 PM, Steve B wrote:
I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

What is the big difference in Led's? They are both battery powered. The
ones for trailers and trucks are beautiful and functional, but cost a
bundle.

Steve

BOAT

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Hey, it could be worse, it could be an AIRPLANE!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard fired this volley in
m:

Hey, it could be worse, it could be an AIRPLANE!

Let's see.... one (qty 1) STC'd LED wingtip marker light, $700.
Flying so someone else can see you at night, Priceless!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 10:12:39 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

What is the big difference in Led's? They are both battery powered. The
ones for trailers and trucks are beautiful and functional, but cost a
bundle.

Steve

Some..some differences in construction..and what the buyer will pay.

Go to a speed shop for gas line adapters. $3-5 each

Go to an industrial hardware store..$1.25 each at most

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

What is the big difference in Led's?

Quality. Would you want a non-sealed light on a boat?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:25:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

What is the big difference in Led's?

Quality. Would you want a non-sealed light on a boat?

All the interior lights I've seen on boats were not a "sealed light".
--
Cheers,
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I have half a dozen of the free HF 9-LED flashlights and love them.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

Your GoogleFu is weak, young Stevie.
http://tinyurl.com/9zdx25m bulkhead lights
http://tinyurl.com/9jb98yc flashlights

What is the big difference in Led's?

Quality. Would you want a non-sealed light on a boat?

Sure, if it's for interior use and I'm on freshwater.

Type, too. Discrete, plastic dome LEDs are cheaper than the new,
higher-powered semiconductor style. And higher power demands more
heatsinking that the cheapies don't need. Greed plays a large factor,
too. Add "marine", "health", or "medical" to anything's name and it
commands a minimum of ten times the price due to greed. Quality need
not be greater, either.

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Would that explain the price of "tactical" lights?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
Greed plays a large factor,
too. Add "marine", "health", or "medical" to anything's name and it
commands a minimum of ten times the price due to greed. Quality need
not be greater, either.

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
in human beings of which they know nothing.
--Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John B." wrote

Quality. Would you want a non-sealed light on a boat?

All the interior lights I've seen on boats were not a "sealed light".
--
Cheers,
John B.

I now have to go back and read the description of what I did buy. For the
prices, I would expect, not assume, that there is some degree of sealing.
But, I am not in a salt water extreme exposure environment. We putt putt
around the local 50-250 acre lakes. I guess I could get some really good
ones, or maybe just get some of those $700 aircraft navigational lights to
be on the safe side.

Why would one have to have sealed lights on many of the lights on a boat?
Mine is a puddle jumper, but on large seagoing boats, the interior lights do
not need to be sealed and explosion proof unless they are in a fueled area.
Lots were simple light bulbs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 08:40:05 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"John B." wrote

[...]

Rain and time

Gunner

--
Adde cruorem stultitiae, atque ignem gladio scruta
To your folly add bloodshed, and stir the fire with the sword (Horace)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/6/2012 10:40 AM, Steve B wrote:
"John wrote

[...]

Steve,

I guess it all depends on what you think will be suitable.
If regulations don't apply, follow them anyway, or decide for yourself.

This is my indirect LED lighting project from last year.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_te...s/cablight.htm

The LEDs are flexible (and sealed!) strips.
They can be cut to any length in sections of 3 lights.
Run on 12 volts directly. No resistors or regulators needed.
Self adhesive back.
And you can find them in the ghetto accessories department at your local
auto parts store in various colors and lengths.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I have half a dozen of the free HF 9-LED flashlights and love them.

I like the ones that still work. Several have bad switches, and one
had the battery leak before I opened the package. It was on the desk,
and I saw the light when i woke up in the middle of the night. Another
is seized, and won't open. Others make poor contact where the PC board
touches the aluminum tube. Eight out of two dozen still work. I take
out the cheap carbon zinc cells out of the new ones, and use name brand
alkaline cells in them. I have some clear aluminum versions I bought at
a flea market for $1 each that work better. No matter where they come
from, they are handy working on computers.