Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's up with this?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:25:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I see 9 LED flashlights in Harbor freight for $1. I bought one at Office
Depot yesterday for $3.

I have half a dozen of the free HF 9-LED flashlights and love them.

I go to get LED lights for my boat, and it is $90 for three of them.

Your GoogleFu is weak, young Stevie.
http://tinyurl.com/9zdx25m bulkhead lights
http://tinyurl.com/9jb98yc flashlights

What is the big difference in Led's?

Quality. Would you want a non-sealed light on a boat?

Sure, if it's for interior use and I'm on freshwater.

Type, too. Discrete, plastic dome LEDs are cheaper than the new,
higher-powered semiconductor style. And higher power demands more
heatsinking that the cheapies don't need. Greed plays a large factor,
too. Add "marine", "health", or "medical" to anything's name and it
commands a minimum of ten times the price due to greed. Quality need
not be greater, either.

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,