Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Van Norman No. 16 universal milling machine

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14899 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

Having a "rough work" mill available to do low precision work is nice to
keep wear and tear off your good precision mill.

BTW Iggy, I have a couple quick Linux related questions for you, what
email can I use?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14899 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

Looks like one used at a local factory, to make aluminum parts for
Canopies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:57:36 -0500, Ignoramus14899
wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

I've heard those things were pretty capable metal movers. Tooling
might be a problem. Some of the Van Normans used a non-standard
taper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

I've heard those things were pretty capable metal movers. Tooling
might be a problem. Some of the Van Normans used a non-standard
taper.

http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Spindle.htm

5V tooling is expensive and hard to come by.

I have a 12. But since I got my Bridgeport I don't use it that much. The Van
Norman can machine more metal but the lack of a quill is inconvenient.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" fired this volley in news:505bb326$0
:

The Van
Norman can machine more metal but the lack of a quill is inconvenient.

OOf! That would be a killer for any real day-to-day "variety" work.
That sort of machine is best suited for repeated single-operation
production of parts!

If it needs more than one operation, move it to the next machine in the
line.

--"Old Al, here, he cuts the slot between those two 1/2" bolt holes. Sam,
next down the line, cuts the pocket where the pin slides."

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"ATP" fired this volley in news:505bb326$0
:

The Van
Norman can machine more metal but the lack of a quill is inconvenient.

OOf! That would be a killer for any real day-to-day "variety" work.
That sort of machine is best suited for repeated single-operation
production of parts!

If it needs more than one operation, move it to the next machine in the
line.

--"Old Al, here, he cuts the slot between those two 1/2" bolt holes. Sam,
next down the line, cuts the pocket where the pin slides."

Lloyd

Oh, so this Van Norman needs knee moved up and down for drilling, and such???

shocked in Illinois
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

On 2012-09-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"ATP" fired this volley in news:505bb326$0
:

The Van
Norman can machine more metal but the lack of a quill is inconvenient.

OOf! That would be a killer for any real day-to-day "variety" work.
That sort of machine is best suited for repeated single-operation
production of parts!

If it needs more than one operation, move it to the next machine in the
line.

--"Old Al, here, he cuts the slot between those two 1/2" bolt holes. Sam,
next down the line, cuts the pocket where the pin slides."

Lloyd

Oh, so this Van Norman needs knee moved up and down for drilling, and
such???

shocked in Illinois

My 12 does, IIRC the 16 does as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

If I were closer to you..Id be beating a fast path to your shop for
that machine. It would be a great machine for my personal shop.

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:21:56 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

I've heard those things were pretty capable metal movers. Tooling
might be a problem. Some of the Van Normans used a non-standard
taper.

http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Spindle.htm

5V tooling is expensive and hard to come by.

I have a 12. But since I got my Bridgeport I don't use it that much. The Van
Norman can machine more metal but the lack of a quill is inconvenient.

I purchased and used a #36 for the past 4 yrs in the side business I
had going, and recently sold it to a buddy, who finds it to be an
absolutely marvelous machine for metal removal...capable of working in
small tenths. As the 3 axis Sony dro shows.

Dont ever consider them to be nothing more than a rough metal remover.
Unless they are absolutely worn out (mine wasnt..Cal State
Irvine)....they are very capable machines

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

If I were closer to you..Id be beating a fast path to your shop for
that machine. It would be a great machine for my personal shop.

You are reading my thoughts. We will keep the Van Norman, and will
sell the Bridgeport that was behind it on the photograph.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I got this along with approx. 14 tons of other stuff at a certain
factory.

My question is what do you guys think about this milling machine as a
general shop mill. for fixing broken stuff and such.

thanks

If I were closer to you..Id be beating a fast path to your shop for
that machine. It would be a great machine for my personal shop.

You are reading my thoughts. We will keep the Van Norman, and will
sell the Bridgeport that was behind it on the photograph.

The BP looks like a "fixer upper", while the VN could certainly use a
run through with a high pressure sprayer.

Be SURE to check ALL the fluids in that VN before setting it up. Head,
knee, lubers and so forth.

And putting a 3 axis DRO on it would be a very good thing. Get a
clapped out BP with a DRO..and simply install it on the VN

Gunner