Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O2 cyliner cannon

Anyone ever build an O2 cylinder cannon, either for firing bowling balls, or
for a noisemaker? I want to build a noisemaker. Maybe use acet/O2 mix
instead of black powder. Maybe use an inflatable cheepie 99 cent ball as a
seal for filling with gas.

How close does one get to the failure parameters with just a "reasonable"
charge of black powder, and a bowling ball. I saw one on Pawn Stars the
other day, but it had been reinforced all to hell. Just wonder what to
expect from just a plain cylinder. I know it would depend on the amount of
charge, but failure would be catastrophic, and probably take out everything
within 50 yards or at least frag it.

Experience and caveats welcomed.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/19/2012 4:06 PM, Steve B wrote:
Anyone ever build an O2 cylinder cannon, either for firing bowling balls, or
for a noisemaker? I want to build a noisemaker. Maybe use acet/O2 mix
instead of black powder. Maybe use an inflatable cheepie 99 cent ball as a
seal for filling with gas.

Get another hobby that won't put you in the morgue.

At least get a camera with a long lens so your significant
other can film you from 100yds away and not die with you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
On 9/19/2012 4:06 PM, Steve B wrote:
Anyone ever build an O2 cylinder cannon, either for firing bowling
balls, or
for a noisemaker? I want to build a noisemaker. Maybe use acet/O2
mix
instead of black powder. Maybe use an inflatable cheepie 99 cent
ball as a
seal for filling with gas.

Get another hobby that won't put you in the morgue.

At least get a camera with a long lens so your significant
other can film you from 100yds away and not die with you.

Or buy one:
http://www.southbendreplicas.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 7:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

How close does one get to the failure parameters with just a "reasonable"
charge of black powder, and a bowling ball. *I saw one on Pawn Stars the
other day, but it had been reinforced all to hell. *Just wonder what to
expect from just a plain cylinder. *I know it would depend on the amount of
charge, but failure would be catastrophic, and probably take out everything
within 50 yards or at least frag it.

Experience and caveats welcomed.

Steve

Well lets see. An oxygen cylinder is designed for a pressure of 2000
psi with some safety factor. A modern rifle is designed for a
pressure of 50,000 psi with some safety factor.

To make a noise maker, use some ABS or PVC pipe and use acetylene.
Just put some saran wrap over the muzzle and secure it with a rubber
band. Stand well back when setting it off. If it blows up , the
pieces of plastic will not be as deadly as pieces of steel and will
not fly as far.

Dan

making a cannon [email protected] Metalworking 30 December 11th 11 05:14 AM
making a cannon [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 1st 11 01:41 AM
Mini Cannon [email protected] Metalworking 19 August 22nd 10 12:02 AM
Cannon sights?? steamer Metalworking 9 March 23rd 08 04:33 AM
moving HW cyliner into the loft? Peter Lynch UK diy 75 October 14th 05 01:37 PM