Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DeWalt reciprocating saw

I already have two tools that use the same battery. Anyone had any
experience with these?

DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-saws-reciprocating-saws-dcs310s1.aspx

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have the Milwaukee version (a "hackzall") and I love it. The small
size is really convenient. For 90% of the jobs that I do. There are
some jobs where the full-size, corded version is still the best.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:05:04 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

I already have two tools that use the same battery. Anyone had any
experience with these?

DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-saws-reciprocating-saws-dcs310s1.aspx

David

I use the 24 volt version. Very handy tool.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I already have two tools that use the same battery. Anyone had any
experience with these?

DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-saws-reciprocating-saws-dcs310s1.aspx

David

I use the 24 volt version. Very handy tool.

It looks pretty handy at that. I have a cordless recip (ryobi) and
like it, but that looks like more fun @ 90ish-degrees.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/11/2012 8:05 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

I already have two tools that use the same battery. Anyone had any
experience with these?

DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-saws-reciprocating-saws-dcs310s1.aspx

David

OK, I just ordered one from Amazon for $129.88 shipped.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:58:57 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 9/11/2012 8:05 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

I already have two tools that use the same battery. Anyone had any
experience with these?

DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit

http://dewalt.com/tools/cordless-saws-reciprocating-saws-dcs310s1.aspx

David

OK, I just ordered one from Amazon for $129.88 shipped.

David

I've had really good luck with the DeWalt 18V XLR system for 15+ years
- and I'm sticking there because they've got a specialty tool for just
about everything in it, all using the same batteries.

This new system looks fine if you are starting fresh and the 12V MAX /
20V MAX family has every tool you think you'll need in the next few
years already in it - BUT if you'll need a right-angle drill or a
angle grinder in the near future, make sure they're bringing it out in
that line before you commit...

Try to stick with one line for everything - Because it's a royal pain
keeping multiple sets of incompatible batteries all charged and ready
to go. You always end up with a few orphan tools on the shelf that
work perfectly fine, but you aren't wasting $60 to buy battery packs
for it every few years.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Already committed, I bought a DeWalt 12v drill and an impact driver last
winter when a local hardware store had a BOGO sale.

Try to stick with one line for everything - Because it's a royal pain
keeping multiple sets of incompatible batteries all charged and ready
to go. You always end up with a few orphan tools on the shelf that
work perfectly fine, but you aren't wasting $60 to buy battery packs
for it every few years.

I had that problem with some Skil tools I bought.

I also figure that if the line is dropped or the batteries become too
dear, I can cobble up something that supplies 12vdc w/o too much
trouble. What I originally bought included 2 batteries, a charger and a
bag for each tool. I couldn't tell if the saw comes with one or two
batteries.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, that was partly aimed at someone reading along who hadn't yet -
because once you start down that road, you're committed. Everyone
else has already done this to their customers - Old Makita, New
Makita, now you have to maintain two, three, four systems.

Try to stick with one line for everything - Because it's a royal pain
keeping multiple sets of incompatible batteries all charged and ready
to go. You always end up with a few orphan tools on the shelf that
work perfectly fine, but you aren't wasting $60 to buy battery packs
for it every few years.

I had that problem with some Skil tools I bought.

I also figure that if the line is dropped or the batteries become too
dear, I can cobble up something that supplies 12vdc w/o too much
trouble. What I originally bought included 2 batteries, a charger and a
bag for each tool. I couldn't tell if the saw comes with one or two
batteries.

Most all of the DeWalt full tools come with two batteries and a 120V
charger. If you want a 12V Vehicle Charger, you have to go buy one -
and if you do a lot of stuff in odd places, that's a Very Handy thing
to have. Use mine all the time, rather than search out an outlet.

Just remember to use the "Accessory Power" socket for the Vehicle
Charger, or get one and install it in the car - things like that and
tire air compressors draw too much current for too long, and can pop
the Thermal Safety Fuse in a "Lighter Socket." Then you have to find
a replacement and change the whole socket.

Now when you need more tools, look for the "Bare Tool" option, or
you'll end up with a dozen chargers floating around... Just the tool
in a cardboard box, with the essential accessories like the
blade/wheel wrench, or the Allen wrench for the chuck.

Certain tools you might really need the hard carrying case for the
50-zillion accessories, or it's got a tip that's easy to break off...
This is when you get a full tool, and build your battery supply.

I would say get the Radio/Charger, but they don't have them for the
new system yet.

And they do a "2 Pack Special" on the 18V XLR Ni-Cad packs most every
Christmas for a serious discount ($100 - $110) - haven't seen them do
that with the new system yet, but keep your eyes open.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That auto charger runs about $100 online, I thought about it but with
the saw batteries, I'll have either 5 or 6, enough for now. The
batteries seem to be only $24 from Amazon.

Just remember to use the "Accessory Power" socket for the Vehicle
Charger, or get one and install it in the car - things like that and
tire air compressors draw too much current for too long, and can pop
the Thermal Safety Fuse in a "Lighter Socket." Then you have to find
a replacement and change the whole socket.

I have an accessory socket in the back of my Subaru. I didn't know they
might be fused differently.

Now when you need more tools, look for the "Bare Tool" option, or
you'll end up with a dozen chargers floating around... Just the tool
in a cardboard box, with the essential accessories like the
blade/wheel wrench, or the Allen wrench for the chuck.

Looks like I'll have 3 of the same charger anyway. :^)

Certain tools you might really need the hard carrying case for the
50-zillion accessories, or it's got a tip that's easy to break off...
This is when you get a full tool, and build your battery supply.

I would say get the Radio/Charger, but they don't have them for the
new system yet.

Radio/Charger?

And they do a "2 Pack Special" on the 18V XLR Ni-Cad packs most every
Christmas for a serious discount ($100 - $110) - haven't seen them do
that with the new system yet, but keep your eyes open.

I want to get a better idea of how long a charge lasts, I've got some
logs to cut up in the back yard to test that with the saw.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message

Radio/Charger?

Some battery tool mfgs offer a plug in AM/FM/CD radio with a built in
battery charger. Problem though is some job sites do not allow radios.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I got my DeWalt reciprocating saw

It was due tomorrow, it came today.

I'd hoped for 2 batteries, but got only one, plus charger & case.

I cut up a log that went from 2" to 5". A charged battery was good for
about 2.5 cuts through the 5" end, adequate for my needs.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The ad didn't say how many batteries?

Glad it does the job for you.