Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Property/Land Deed Ownership Transfer Law Not Eminent Domain, More Like Theft

I remember this law being discussed here in RCM before, but I can't find any
related posts in my saved folder.

There is a law that can transfer real estate property ownership to another
person when that person claims that they've been given permission to use the
land, and a specific period of time passes which entitles that person to
take ownership.. or similar conditions (I'm a bit unclear of the details).

A similar situation has occurred to a portion of a friend's property, and I
can't seem to find the term/name of that law or code.

Any help appreciated, thanks

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:25:35 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I remember this law being discussed here in RCM before, but I can't find any
related posts in my saved folder.

There is a law that can transfer real estate property ownership to another
person when that person claims that they've been given permission to use the
land, and a specific period of time passes which entitles that person to
take ownership.. or similar conditions (I'm a bit unclear of the details).

A similar situation has occurred to a portion of a friend's property, and I
can't seem to find the term/name of that law or code.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Probably adverse possession. My understanding is it's generally pretty
tough to establish adverse possession. I'm personally familiar with
two examples. One involves hunting camps on a piece of family
timberland I have an interest in. The other is traditional beach
access over private property in my town that's recently become
disputed. In both cases the legal advice was that it would be
difficult and expensive for the claimants to make their case. On the
other hand, if the folks claiming adverse possession have deep
pockets, it could be expensive for the landowner to defend their
ownership.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Ned, that will be helpful.. I'll pass it along to the friend. This
was one really messed up scenario, the aggressor has been at it for years
and they've been to court numerous times over some really petty crap.

A quick glance at search results seems to indicate 21 years here, and
something is definitely amiss in what's taken place.

It's been this way for years though.. a neighbor generally has more control
over another person's property than the owner does.

--
WB

news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
I remember this law being discussed here in RCM before, but I can't find any
related posts in my saved folder.

There is a law that can transfer real estate property ownership to another
person when that person claims that they've been given permission to use the
land, and a specific period of time passes which entitles that person to
take ownership.. or similar conditions (I'm a bit unclear of the details).

A similar situation has occurred to a portion of a friend's property, and I
can't seem to find the term/name of that law or code.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Adverse possession or squatters rights should get you what you're
looking for.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-04, Steve W. wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:
I remember this law being discussed here in RCM before, but I can't find any
related posts in my saved folder.

There is a law that can transfer real estate property ownership to another
person when that person claims that they've been given permission to use the
land, and a specific period of time passes which entitles that person to
take ownership.. or similar conditions (I'm a bit unclear of the details).

It is called adverse possession, and it is the opposite of what you
say. The person would claim that they used land WITHOUT permission for
a certain amount of time. This is why it is called adverse possession,
because it is adverse to the landowner.

A typical adverse possession would be fencing off a part of a
neighbor's property.

Use with permission does not confer any rights given by adverse
possession theory.

When I bought my property and found neighbors parking their trucks on
it, I had them sign a statement to the effect that they are parking
with my permission, which can be revoked at any time.

A similar situation has occurred to a portion of a friend's property, and I
can't seem to find the term/name of that law or code.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Adverse possession or squatters rights should get you what you're
looking for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" on Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:25:35
I remember this law being discussed here in RCM before, but I can't find any
related posts in my saved folder.

There is a law that can transfer real estate property ownership to another
person when that person claims that they've been given permission to use the
land, and a specific period of time passes which entitles that person to
take ownership.. or similar conditions (I'm a bit unclear of the details).

A similar situation has occurred to a portion of a friend's property, and I
can't seem to find the term/name of that law or code.

Try looking under Adverse Possession.

Any help appreciated, thanks

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for all the replies as I was essentially coming up with squat, and I
didn't want to offer the friend a confusing/inaccurate guess.

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My neighbor went through and AP trial a few years ago and lost some of
her land. It's amazing that in this day, when land is so expensive,
that you can lose it to someone's simple garden being on it. Be a
friendly neighbor and lose your land for it. ****ing unreal! It cost
them thirteen grand to lose their land.

It wasn't brought out in the newspapers that the winner of the lawsuit
had donated lots of funds for the election of the judge. I hate
corruption but America is rife with it today. Woe is us.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/4/2012 2:18 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:
Thanks Ned, that will be helpful.. I'll pass it along to the friend.
This was one really messed up scenario, the aggressor has been at it for
years and they've been to court numerous times over some really petty crap.

A quick glance at search results seems to indicate 21 years here, and
something is definitely amiss in what's taken place.

It's been this way for years though.. a neighbor generally has more
control over another person's property than the owner does.

Also informally known as "squatters' rights" may help in searching some.

In general I disagree the neighbor has more control unless the landowner
abdicates his...any law/ordinance that the one neighbor can use against
one can be turned around the other direction as well.

It is, of course, unequal if you're the one trying to (say) operate a
commercial business from the garage in a residential area and the
neighbor's not, but...

78 year old company threatened by eminent domain Oren[_2_] Home Repair 41 June 28th 12 08:45 PM
OT - eminent domain JohnM Metalworking 4 July 7th 05 09:07 PM
Protesting Eminent Domain Private Property Home Ownership 3 June 30th 05 03:31 PM