Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap Metal Lathe

I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

Jon

Because it's not a metal lathe. It's a wood lathe, and likely not worth
even the asking price.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 12:08*am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

Jon

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14492
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 12:08ÿam, Jon Danniken
wrote:
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

Primarily because they don't know what they have ("This is a metal
lathe..."), and because Chicom wood lathes that size go on sale for
around $150 every day. (not that they're built as well... but...)

That Olympus looks like a Sears Craftsman model, and the part number in
the vintage machinery link tends to support that.

In addition, I'd have to guess that it was manufactured in the same
facility as the Atlas 6x18 lathes -- the tailstock is a a clue.

Does anybody know if Olympus was an Atlas badge for woodworking gear?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:08:22 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

I guess he meant _made_ of metal. Foo, that one.
I paid $20 for mine, with two 1/3hp motors. CA 1950.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

Primarily because they don't know what they have ("This is a metal
lathe..."), and because Chicom wood lathes that size go on sale for
around $150 every day. (not that they're built as well... but...)

That Olympus looks like a Sears Craftsman model, and the part number in
the vintage machinery link tends to support that.

It's a Dunlap, Searz old brand.

In addition, I'd have to guess that it was manufactured in the same
facility as the Atlas 6x18 lathes -- the tailstock is a a clue.

Does anybody know if Olympus was an Atlas badge for woodworking gear?

Olympus was his CAMERA, Lloyd.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Olympus was his CAMERA, Lloyd.

Oh.... duh
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:05:50 +0000, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

Jon

Because it's not a metal lathe. It's a wood lathe, and likely not worth
even the asking price.

Hey, whadda ya mean? It's a lathe, it's metal -- it's a metal lathe!

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

Like a "wood stove" ???

Just sayin'...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

And anyway, that would be "if it were a 'wooden' lathe...."

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:21:38 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

Like a "wood stove" ???

Just sayin'...

Firefighters hate those things.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/30/2012 04:42 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:05:50 +0000, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

Jon

Because it's not a metal lathe. It's a wood lathe, and likely not worth
even the asking price.

Hey, whadda ya mean? It's a lathe, it's metal -- it's a metal lathe!

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

Nice to see someone gets it.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

On 08/30/2012 04:42 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:05:50 +0000, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3208013281.html

Jon

Because it's not a metal lathe. It's a wood lathe, and likely not worth
even the asking price.

Hey, whadda ya mean? It's a lathe, it's metal -- it's a metal lathe!

Honestly. If it were a _wood_ lathe it would be made of wood.

Nice to see someone gets it.

At least the seller admitts that it was made of cheap metal...

cheap sheets of metal goodolpete UK diy 32 March 16th 10 08:29 PM
Cheap Sheet Metal brake Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 15 December 29th 09 05:59 PM
Newbie he Where to get metal cheap? User Example Metalworking 15 November 7th 05 04:56 AM
Cheap Lathe! Walt Cheever Woodturning 15 May 30th 05 12:49 AM
Am I cheap? (metal content) Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 14 April 20th 05 12:01 PM