Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap Metal Lathe

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 06:30:32 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

On Aug 30, 12:08ÿam, Jon Danniken
wrote:
I was wondering why the price was only $100....

Primarily because they don't know what they have ("This is a metal
lathe..."), and because Chicom wood lathes that size go on sale for
around $150 every day. (not that they're built as well... but...)

That Olympus looks like a Sears Craftsman model, and the part number in
the vintage machinery link tends to support that.

It's a Dunlap, Searz old brand.

In addition, I'd have to guess that it was manufactured in the same
facility as the Atlas 6x18 lathes -- the tailstock is a a clue.

Does anybody know if Olympus was an Atlas badge for woodworking gear?

Olympus was his CAMERA, Lloyd.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu