Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting color choice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/26/2012 10:41 AM, Ignoramus11402 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

Yeah, makes it worth $20.00 plus shipping.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:41:02 -0500, Ignoramus11402
wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

Now we know where that paint leftover from Christmas of 05 went

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11402 wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

Salvaged from a machine shop "Machinist of the Year" trophy or
something???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:41:02 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11402 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

My Dad painted a tractor silver once, but that's because it was aluminum paint and was the best thing he'd found against rust...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 05:21:23 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Lyford
wrote:

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:41:02 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11402 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

My Dad painted a tractor silver once, but that's because it was aluminum paint and was the best thing he'd found against rust...

In Southern California, that's nicknamed Mexichrome because of its
popularity with Hispanics.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:41:02 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11402 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

My Dad painted a tractor silver once, but that's because it was aluminum paint and was the best thing he'd found against rust...

In Southern California, that's nicknamed Mexichrome because of its
popularity with Hispanics.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman

Clever! I'll have to remember that.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:41:02 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11402 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

My Dad painted a tractor silver once, but that's because it was aluminum paint and was the best thing he'd found against rust...

In Southern California, that's nicknamed Mexichrome because of its
popularity with Hispanics.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman

Clever! I'll have to remember that.

Be advised that Hispanics in general do NOT like the nickname.

-
Political Incorrectness. Just another one of the services we offer.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:41:02 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus11402 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

My Dad painted a tractor silver once, but that's because it was aluminum paint and was the best thing he'd found against rust...

In Southern California, that's nicknamed Mexichrome because of its
popularity with Hispanics.

ROFLMAO! Indeed! Indeed!!

Real silver Silverados

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11402 wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Tool-H...-/120971145664

Salvaged from a machine shop "Machinist of the Year" trophy or
something???

Well ... I was at an estate sale once (I wish that I had known
the man before he went -- I think that he would have been interesting to
know) in which there were weird things gold plated, including a chem lab
clamp. He just liked gold plating things, apparently. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum paint - was Interesting color choice

Glenn Lyford wrote:

... aluminum paint and was the best thing he'd found against rust...

A 1961 report on a 10 year study by University of Illinois on barn paint:
http://ia600302.us.archive.org/18/it...test00mueh.pdf

quote
SUMMARY

Among the general conclusions drawn from this study, the following are
most significant.

1. Exposure had a definite effect on the paint systems with a red or
green top coat, but no apparent effect on the paint systems with an
aluminum top coat. ...

2. The original condition of the panel affected the amount of protection
offered by the paint system. The greater the amount of rust when the
panel was painted, the faster the paint film failed.

3. The paint systems that provided the best protection were those with a
first coat of red lead and a second coat of an aluminum paint and those
with a first coat of gray metallic zinc paint and a second coat of an
aluminum paint.

4. Wire brushing before painting gave no apparent increased protection o
the panels. If the panels had not been brushed, however, more paint
would have been necessary to secure a good coverage.
/quote

I've always considered aluminum paint to be inferior, but I guess that I
was wrong. 'Course it's still too garish for common use (YMMV).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:21:49 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Glenn Lyford wrote:

[...]

If they can put a tint in it..Id use a hell of a lot more of it.

Gunner

--
The essential differences between liberals and conservtives
is that liberals could not exist without conservtives to defend

Conservatives on the other hand, can exist and
live quite well without liberals."