Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting Clausing V-Way Grooves

In the RCM thread "Making a micrometer stop for a Clausing lathe" in
July 2012, I talked about getting a pair of 35-degree (half angle)
conical mill bits (V-203 from Conical Tool Co). They came a while ago,
and I just today made my first trial cut on a block of scrap aluminum.

This works a treat. My first trial grooved block sits quite solidly and
stably on the 70-degree (included angle) V-way ridge of my Clausing 5914
lathe. It took me all of ten minutes to make the trial block.

I roughed a 5/16" slot first, before cutting the V groove.

As for the Conical V-203, it seems very well made, and the fit of the
shank into the Waldon holder is almost airtight. It certainly cuts very
well.

Joe Gwinn

painting grooves in T-111 ben[_2_] Home Repair 8 October 9th 19 12:14 PM
Best Grooves Tom Watson Woodworking 57 November 27th 06 01:00 AM
Pictures of Clausing 8530 mill and clausing lathe! Gunner Metalworking 0 April 20th 05 10:47 AM
Cutting grooves in Lexan David Hakala Woodworking 10 January 1st 05 04:07 PM
FS:11" Logan, 12" Clausing lathes and Clausing 8530 Mill Dick Streff Metalworking 2 February 22nd 04 04:57 PM