Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting grooves in T-111

I'm starting to stain my house. It has T-111-like siding (mine is 4"
OC grooves). Before I got outside I'm staining new panels that will
replace some old ones.

The only thing I could figure out to paint the grooves well was to use
a small brush and paint each groove by hand. I had to go over each
one several times in order to get the bottom and each side of the
groove covered. It was wrist-breaking work, and I'm now scared of
painting the whole house this way.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to consider a sprayer, but my searching
has suggested that you still have to go over the grooves with a brush
even after spraying. And the prep for spraying would be a lot more.

Ideas welcome! Thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 4:12*pm, ben wrote:
I'm starting to stain my house. *It has T-111-like siding (mine is 4"
OC grooves). *Before I got outside I'm staining new panels that will
replace some old ones.

The only thing I could figure out to paint the grooves well was to use
a small brush and paint each groove by hand. *I had to go over each
one several times in order to get the bottom and each side of the
groove covered. *It was wrist-breaking work, and I'm now scared of
painting the whole house this way.

Any suggestions? *I'm willing to consider a sprayer, but my searching
has suggested that you still have to go over the grooves with a brush
even after spraying. *And the prep for spraying would be a lot more.

Ideas welcome! *Thx

With a 1 1/4" roller I did mine mostly with the roller since its
thick, but some brushing is needed. With spraying no brush is needed,
prep does take time but spraying is fast, but you need zero wind so
using a rental can be an issue if you get it home and wind kicks up,
unless nothing else is nearby. With oil stain in what I thought was no
wind I stained my car 60 ft away, luckily I caught it before it dried
and hand cleaner worked to clean the car. Actualy I screwed up a few
cars another time, and it cured hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm starting to stain my house. It has T-111-like siding ..

They make a foam "roller" thats actually sort of flat (think Pizza cutter)
and is intended for corners. That should work fine in the grooves

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 6:27*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
I'm starting to stain my house. *It has T-111-like siding ..

They make a foam "roller" thats actually sort of flat (think *Pizza cutter)
and is intended for corners. *That should work fine in the grooves

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. That's a great idea.

Thanks to ransley too. I tried a 3/4" nap roller thinking it would do
it. I didn't realize they had a 1 1/4" one. I'll look for that too.
And I'm still willing to consider buying a spray setup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote:
I'm starting to stain my house. It has T-111-like siding (mine is 4"
OC grooves). Before I got outside I'm staining new panels that will
replace some old ones.

The only thing I could figure out to paint the grooves well was to use
a small brush and paint each groove by hand. I had to go over each
one several times in order to get the bottom and each side of the
groove covered. It was wrist-breaking work, and I'm now scared of
painting the whole house this way.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to consider a sprayer, but my searching
has suggested that you still have to go over the grooves with a brush
even after spraying. And the prep for spraying would be a lot more.

Ideas welcome! Thx

Well....there is a nice sprayer for small jobs, made by Preval. It has
an 8 oz. bottle and the air can screws onto the top of the bottle. It
might work and be slightly less tedious than brushing. It has a small
spray pattern, so drift isn't horrible. Keeping a brush handy, you
could spray two or three grooves, and brush them out. You would need to
thin it, instructions on the can agree with most paint I have used. The
one "big" project I used them for was a four-panel louvered closet door.
It was really slick for that project. I keep one or two handy for
small projects and hobby stuff. I painted my range hood, primer and
Rustoleum enamel, with very nice results. They spatter once in a while,
but much less than regular spray cans, and with less drift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote in news:00e3bc3a-80de-4d6d-98d2-
:

I'm starting to stain my house. It has T-111-like siding (mine is 4"
OC grooves). Before I got outside I'm staining new panels that will
replace some old ones.

The only thing I could figure out to paint the grooves well was to use
a small brush and paint each groove by hand. I had to go over each
one several times in order to get the bottom and each side of the
groove covered. It was wrist-breaking work, and I'm now scared of
painting the whole house this way.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to consider a sprayer, but my searching
has suggested that you still have to go over the grooves with a brush
even after spraying. And the prep for spraying would be a lot more.

Ideas welcome! Thx

Should you end up going with a sprayer (not promoting it's a good or bad
idea), I can tell you my experience with this siding.

With me it was paint. Maybe a totally different situation.

The siding I did was extreeeeemely dry from neglect. To the point it had
all the hairline cracks. I had to prime, obviously, then paint. I chose
to spray since we were talking prime+paint+paint. That's a billion dips
and brush strokes.

Siding this dry HAD to be back brushed since spray will not
penetrate/fill/cover as I learned. Even so, I found the sprayer cut the
time enormously even on the back brush coats. Eliminates dipping. Sprayer
type was the head on a long hose to a supply in container/pump on the
ground. Sprayer head in left hand and 4" brush in the right. Fortunately
a single story home.

Maybe someone who did the spray/brush thing with stain can comment. I
never used stain in a sprayer so I have no foresight even on obvious
problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you did not put all the boards on the house yet, paint the tongue
and the grooves first. *That will prevent some rotting when water gets
in them, and it will.

No doubt. I'm cutting off the bottom 20" and putting up new because
it sucked up water and rotted. I'm fully staining the pieces before
they go on and am covering the edges and tongue/grooves. I'll stain
the new cut edge on the house too before I put up the flashing.

I don't think the panels on the house were edge stained. And I know
the panels on the house weren't installed correctly so that they have
some space between the flashing and the edge. That's where the siding
is it's worst.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Rudy, tom CLOSE wrote:
thanks good idea

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...11-378502-.htm

How to paint T-111 grooves? mike Home Repair 9 October 25th 20 11:01 PM
Best Grooves Tom Watson Woodworking 57 November 27th 06 02:00 AM
3/8" thick beadboard - nail through grooves? Jay Pique Woodworking 1 March 12th 06 09:16 PM
Cutting grooves in Lexan David Hakala Woodworking 10 January 1st 05 05:07 PM
Tool for digging grooves in walls Robert Irwin UK diy 30 January 6th 04 11:27 PM