Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ITS ALIVE

Ok... I still have a lot of work to do, but the Hurco KMB1 I picked up in
November 2010 finally came to life yesterday. Ok... one finger twitched
when stimulated with electricity. LOL.

I actually powered up the computer, motion control interface, breakout board
(with some on board functions also), and one of the servo drivers yesterday.
With a freshly installed 1000 line quadrature encoder on it I spun one of
the yet to be re-installed servo motors back and forth at speeds upto 1250
RPM with good position repeatability using a short g-code test program
running on the control computer. If the proximity sensors installed on the
mill are all still good and I don't have any oil line leaks I may actually
cut some parts with it in the next month or so.

1250 RPM is the speed necessary for the original factory specified rapid
speed of 250 IPM. I actually free spun the motors at 2000 RPM when testing
with direct uncontrolled power. With a 20% derating as reccommended by
Gecko that would mean a top rapid speed of 1600 RPM (upto 320 IPM) with this
setup. I'm going to set my programmed rapid speed down to 150 IPM until all
things are tested and working then bump it up with a full 500 lb load on the
table and see how it performs before settling on my final top speed. I'll
keep current low and allow for momentary overload rather than going for peak
current. If I get current or position faults during testing I'll drop speed
and/or acceleration back until I don't.

I still have a lot of work to do though before I start moving the table
under system controlled power.