Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Good, cheap, fast knife sharpener

Ceramic quarter round:
http://tiny.cc/8cwhjw

About one dollarette each.

Hold blade at angle and stroke from tip to hilt.
Flip and grind other side. Rinse and you are good to go.

Works fine for my hobby and cooking knives.
Probably not so well for serrated, though.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Winston" wrote in message
Ceramic quarter round:
http://tiny.cc/8cwhjw

About one dollarette each.

Hold blade at angle and stroke from tip to hilt.
Flip and grind other side. Rinse and you are good to go.

Works fine for my hobby and cooking knives.
Probably not so well for serrated, though.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Probably not so well for serrated, though.

Serrated blades are really only for the "roughness" provided; good for
fibrous stuff, because they both slice and tear. But until the depth of
the serration is ground off, sharpening only the edge is good enough.

Scalloped blades (bread knives) seldom get dull in the depth of the
scallops. Sharpening only the tips is enough there, too. When the
scallops are ground away, it's either time for a shaped wheel re-grind, or
replacement.

Both types sharpen just fine on a flat stone, but in either case, sharpen
only the flat side, not the serrated or scalloped side. A normal angle of
grind - as if the blade were not grooved - works fine.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 2:47 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In ,
Stormin wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Works wondewrs - with a piece of 600/1200 sandpaper on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Works fine. So does the bottom of a ceramic mug.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:55:36 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Both types sharpen just fine on a flat stone, but in either case,
sharpen only the flat side, not the serrated or scalloped side. A
normal angle of grind - as if the blade were not grooved - works fine.

I did not know that. Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice. G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife is
not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000, Edward A. Falk wrote:

In article , Stormin Mormon
wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...ramic-accents-

borders-trims/u-s-ceramic-tile-bright-snow-white-3-4-in-x-6-in-quarter-
round-ceramic-wall-tile-184131.html

Yes. DAGS "ceramic quarter round" About a buck:

[http://www.homedepot.com/buy/dal-til...-34-in-x-6-in-
ceramic-quarter-round-50481.html]

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve as a
knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Yes for the last few weeks, I've discovered:
(...) "Works fine for my hobby and cooking knives."

It's particularly gratifying to sharpen a hobby knife this way.
I'm using one for trimming the ends of very fine gauge copper
wire, under a microscope. After a few seconds sharpening, the
knife goes through that wire very quickly and cleanly with
very little effort.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:28:33 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Winston fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice. G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife
is not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:28:33 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Winston fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice. G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife
is not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

Some people use the top of an old ceramic microprocessor, like the
386, 486 or 586. They say they are great for exacto knife blades, too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 4:51 PM, Winston wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:28:33 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice.G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife
is not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

--Winston

I do it for stress relief.

That way anybody in the kitchen knows when to chill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:28:01 -0500, Richard wrote:

On 8/23/2012 4:51 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

--Winston

I do it for stress relief.

That way anybody in the kitchen knows when to chill.

[http://www.jack-nicholson.info/image...nicholson-the-
shining_thumb.jpg]

"Hand over all the knives, darling..."

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Winston fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice. G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife is
not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

LLoyd

I sharpened my mom's knives once. Next time I came home, she was
sporting bandaids all over her hands, forbade me to ever touch her
knives again. She told me she took them out on the patio and rubbed
them on the concrete before she could use them again.

Never could convince her that a palm is not a cutting board. Needless
to say, I never offered to sharpen them again as long as she lived.

The rest of the family pretty well leaves my knives alone.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Aug 2012 00:48:03 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:28:01 -0500, Richard wrote:

On 8/23/2012 4:51 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

--Winston

I do it for stress relief.

That way anybody in the kitchen knows when to chill.

[http://www.jack-nicholson.info/image...nicholson-the-
shining_thumb.jpg]

"Hand over all the knives, darling..."

Please pass the redrum.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:28:33 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Winston fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice. G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife
is not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

Some people use the top of an old ceramic microprocessor, like the
386, 486 or 586. They say they are great for exacto knife blades, too.

COOL! I just might have a few of those.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 6:19 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

Gunner

If you have to use your own knife on a steak---it's NOT a steak, it's
leather! If you don't cook steaks to rare/med-rare you're a heathen!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 6:19 AM, Winston wrote:
Ceramic quarter round:
http://tiny.cc/8cwhjw

About one dollarette each.

Hold blade at angle and stroke from tip to hilt.
Flip and grind other side. Rinse and you are good to go.

Works fine for my hobby and cooking knives.
Probably not so well for serrated, though.

Isn't it an axiom of engineering that you can have *only* two of "good",
"cheap" and "fast"? Computer systems development, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in
:

(Of sharpening serrated and scalloped blades)

Mamma and I both cook. I have my knives, and she has hers.

She curses a lot and smashes tomatoes with hers. Mine slice. G

I even offer to sharpen hers, but cannot convince her that a dull knife is
not safer than a sharp one. (All marriages have their challenges!)

I've often wondered about that truism regarding dull vs sharp knives
with respect to the danger of injury. I think a lot depends on what
you're trying to cut, and it also depends on your general adeptness with
tools. It *may* be true that you're more likely to cut yourself with a
dull knife if you're not really skilled at using a knife in the first
place *and* you're perhaps using the wrong knife on the wrong material,
but I have always believed and still believe that *if* you cut yourself
with a sharp knife, the injury is likely to be worse.

As with a lot of things, it comes down to conditional probability, which
explains the fear of flying. Air travel is statistically safer than
automobile travel, in terms of deaths per passenger mile, but that's
because the probability of a catastrophic plane crash is so low, thus
the joint probability of a catastrophic crash *and* dying is low.
However, the probability of dying *given* that the crash occurs is
almost 1. Similarly, but less certainly, the probability of being
injured by a sharp knife may be low, assuming skill in handling the
knife, using the correct knife and cutting an appropriate material; but
*given* that an injury occurs, the probability of it being serious is
higher for a sharp knife than for a dull knife.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 3:19 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

That's because you're a dole scrounger who can only afford to eat in
inferior restaurants that serve you something that's mostly hide and
gristle mislabeled as "steak."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/24/2012 10:37 AM, Homer Stille Cummings wrote:

[...]

It all depends on the person.

Some people will hurt themselves with a sharp knife.
Some won't.

The old saying, the most dangerous think in a man's pocket is a sharp
knife may be true.

Second only to a dull knife...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 11:55*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley :

Probably not so well for serrated, though.

Serrated blades are really only for the "roughness" provided; good for
fibrous stuff, because they both slice and tear. *But until the depth of
the serration is ground off, sharpening only the edge is good enough.

Scalloped blades (bread knives) seldom get dull in the depth of the
scallops. *Sharpening only the tips is enough there, too. *When the
scallops are ground away, it's either time for a shaped wheel re-grind, or
replacement.

Both types sharpen just fine on a flat stone, but in either case, sharpen
only the flat side, not the serrated or scalloped side. *A normal angle of
grind - as if the blade were not grooved - works fine.

Lloyd

This rides around in my pocket, does serrated well:
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Poc.../dp/B000O8OTNC
Big 5 and wally world carry them on the peg and in the bin. Works
wonders during the annual deer disassembly season. I think the
carbide inserts are just standard triangular machine tool inserts.
Only takes a couple of swipes to fix a dull knife. In-laws complain
about the knives being too sharp, are cutlery impaired and can't
sharpen a knife on a stone with me standing over them guiding every
stroke. Diamond spike on this works great for serrations. For fast
sharpening, it's hard to beat.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:14:58 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 8/23/2012 6:19 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

Gunner

If you have to use your own knife on a steak---it's NOT a steak, it's
leather! If you don't cook steaks to rare/med-rare you're a heathen!

It's obvious you didn't grow up on steaks from the cattle in the
pasture across the road. I had to feed and help work the damn things,
too. It kept us in meat, and I ate a lot of it, but you needed a
knife, rare or not.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

There are two reasons why the truism is correct.

First : A sharp knife cuts better and faster with less "work" on the
part of the user. That means less pressure, fewer strokes to
slice/cut/dice a given item. All of that means much less likelihood of
an injury due to simple odds based on how long and hard you need to
handle the knife.

Second : A sharp knife leaves a much cleaner and straighter cut in you
IF you do manage to slip. While the cut could be deeper than with a dull
knife the cleaner edges and less debris carried into the cut by the
sharper edges of the knife means you generally will heal much better and
with less scarring than with a dull knife.

Both of these are very easy to demonstrate and because of actual
injuries it has been shown to be true.

For an easy example look at a surgeons scalpel or even a simple IV
needle. Either one being dull will ruin your day.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stanley Schaefer wrote:
[...]

I have that one, a good steel and a set of crock sticks for "field
sharpening" When I want to re-sharpen a good knife I grab the wet stone
rotary machine I have and an OLD strop. Most of the good steel in this
house could easily be used to shave with. Even the Victorinox I carry
has a very sharp edge, although it gets abused.. Just last might I cut a
sandwich and then cut through two 1.75" fire hoses! (Those are double
cotton jacket, kevlar reinforced with a rubber inner liner)

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, August 24, 2012 8:37:12 AM UTC-7, Homer Stille Cummings wrote:

I've often wondered about that truism regarding dull vs sharp knives

with respect to the danger of injury. ...

*given* that an injury occurs, the probability of it being serious is

higher for a sharp knife than for a dull knife.

The use of tools, and the design and manufacture of tools, is
a hallmark of technologic species, like us humans.

Be the best person you can be, and use the most effective
tools. Sharp knives, for instance. If you're an adult,
use a heavy hammer, and don't strike your thumb.
If you cannot or will not use sharp knives, or heavy
hammers, there are technological tasks you will have
to forego.

Grownups don't need dull knives, fleaweight hammers, blunt
scissors, and the like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:14:58 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 8/23/2012 6:19 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

Gunner

If you have to use your own knife on a steak---it's NOT a steak, it's
leather! If you don't cook steaks to rare/med-rare you're a heathen!

Indeed. I ALWAYS order rare/very rare. "Heat it up until it stops
bleeding and then bring it to me"

And Ive still had to use one of my pocket knives to whittle away at a
few. And my pocket knives are...sharp.

I had a regular eating spot that had good food, except for the
steaks...I got the cook ****ed at me when I carried in a 16oz ball
pien and a wood chisel and set it next to my plate and the waitress
told him. After that..I got much better steaks. Probably a bit of
spit and floor dirt too..but that doesnt bother me much.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 7:48 PM, Winston wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:28:01 -0500, Richard wrote:

On 8/23/2012 4:51 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

--Winston

I do it for stress relief.

That way anybody in the kitchen knows when to chill.

[http://www.jack-nicholson.info/image...nicholson-the-
shining_thumb.jpg]

"Hand over all the knives, darling..."

--Winston

I scored a Wasabi chef's blade at a garage sale - for a buck.
The guy didn't know that it was! and it doesn't have a pointy end.
Brought it home, scary sharpened it a little, and shaved my arm bare!

All my kitchen knives live in the knife drawer with a slot for each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/24/2012 1:23 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, August 24, 2012 8:37:12 AM UTC-7, Homer Stille Cummings wrote:

I've often wondered about that truism regarding dull vs sharp knives

with respect to the danger of injury. ...

*given* that an injury occurs, the probability of it being serious is

higher for a sharp knife than for a dull knife.

The use of tools, and the design and manufacture of tools, is
a hallmark of technologic species, like us humans.

Be the best person you can be, and use the most effective
tools. Sharp knives, for instance. If you're an adult,
use a heavy hammer, and don't strike your thumb.
If you cannot or will not use sharp knives, or heavy
hammers, there are technological tasks you will have
to forego.

Grownups don't need dull knives, fleaweight hammers, blunt
scissors, and the like.

I always try to use the appropriate tool, and strive to keep my knives
razor sharp. My wife makes keeping the knives sharp more difficult.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2012 5:48 PM, Winston wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:28:01 -0500, Richard wrote:

On 8/23/2012 4:51 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

SWMBO allows me to sharpen knives all I want.... :] :|

--Winston

I do it for stress relief.

That way anybody in the kitchen knows when to chill.

[http://www.jack-nicholson.info/image...ing_thumb.jpg]

"Hand over all the knives, darling..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nUbCgQEiHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WupFuB1YtNM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:37:12 -0700, Homer Stille Cummings
öv wrote:

[...]

It may..may be deeper..but it will heal quicker and cleaner if cut
with a sharp knife. Which is why doctors use specially ground scalpels
and glass cutting tools, rather than a box cutter.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

[...]

Looks like a nice little deal. Especially the diamond spike hone.
It just went on my Amazon wishlist. One can never have too many
-decent- knife sharpeners.

I picked up a SteelEX spike for my serrated knives.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Diam...ket-file/H1423

wonders during the annual deer disassembly season. I think the
carbide inserts are just standard triangular machine tool inserts.
Only takes a couple of swipes to fix a dull knife. In-laws complain
about the knives being too sharp, are cutlery impaired and can't
sharpen a knife on a stone with me standing over them guiding every
stroke.

People who can't or won't sharpen knives are sick and need help.
People who spend 4+ hours sharpening anything need more help.

Diamond spike on this works great for serrations. For fast
sharpening, it's hard to beat.

I have the 1x2" DMT paddles and love 'em for most knives.
http://www.amazon.com/DMT-D2K-Dia-Sh...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I use the larger DMT and EZE-Lap 600 and 1200 grit hones in 2x6"
flavor for woodworking plane irons and gouges/chisels. I prefer the
DMT brand for longevity and more precise diamond mesh.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:36:29 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I picked up a SteelEX spike for my serrated knives.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Diam...ket-file/H1423

Cool!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25 Aug 2012 03:13:44 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:36:29 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I picked up a SteelEX spike for my serrated knives.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Diam...ket-file/H1423

Cool!

Yeah, 'tis. I haven't used it much, so I don't know how long it will
last, but the price is good if you're already ordering from Griz.

Now, if I could only -find- the damned thing...

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:26:20 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Now, if I could only -find- the damned thing...

Ya. I know the feeling.

I was fantasizing about a UHF RFID reader I could stick on my belt.
It'd detect my movement and turn on for a minute or so, scanning for
tagged items. It'd update a database when in range of my
computer, providing a list of all my worldly possessions, with
location and time stamp.

It would make my walks through the local flea market highly
educational.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25 Aug 2012 04:41:29 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:26:20 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Now, if I could only -find- the damned thing...

Ya. I know the feeling.

I was fantasizing about a UHF RFID reader I could stick on my belt.
It'd detect my movement and turn on for a minute or so, scanning for
tagged items. It'd update a database when in range of my
computer, providing a list of all my worldly possessions, with
location and time stamp.

Hah, cool.

It would make my walks through the local flea market highly
educational.

They'dtossyerassouttathereinahurry,theywould.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randal Scripter" wrote in message
On 8/23/2012 3:19 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

That's because you're a dole scrounger who can only afford to eat in
inferior restaurants that serve you something that's mostly hide and
gristle mislabeled as "steak."

I'd wager you only go to restaurants that you are TOLD to go...just like
every other part of your life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Randal Scripter" wrote in message
On 8/23/2012 3:19 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:47:48 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That takes us to a Home Depot image. Perhaps you have the URL for the
product, for sale?

Google Image Search FTW

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...le-184131.html

I really couldn't say how well a piece of ceramic tile would serve
as a knife sharpener; has anyone actually tried it?

Nearly anything ceramic works as a knife sharpener. The unglazed
bottom of a coffee cup is one of my favorites. I can sharpen a knife
very quickly in just about any coffee shop/restaraunt in America while
having a meal. And often have to use my own knife on the steak served.

That's because you're a dole scrounger who can only afford to eat in
inferior restaurants that serve you something that's mostly hide and
gristle mislabeled as "steak."

I'd wager you only go to restaurants that you are TOLD to go...just like
every other part of your life.

It sounds like Randal eats at places that serve undercooked, dead
liberals...

knife sharpener dilbert firestorm Home Repair 3 April 28th 11 02:45 PM
Kitchen Knife Sharpener. Best type? Vortex3 UK diy 12 November 25th 08 10:05 AM
knife sharpener?? edb Home Repair 14 November 18th 06 09:35 PM
Knife-blade sharpener... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 11 January 23rd 06 03:44 PM
Daves Good, Fast and Cheap Bench Tom Woodworking 14 December 9th 05 04:31 PM