Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default July 4

Lifted from rec.aviation.military:

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you
Jesus Christ and the American GI
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom
You might want to pass this on ... as many seem to forget both of
them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
Lifted from rec.aviation.military:

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you
Jesus Christ and the _American_ [my emphasis] GI

A bit chauvinistic , isn't it? Pretty much every country's soldier was
willing to die for his country. At least to the same extent that the
American one was. And it's easy to exaggerate how much that was.
Rather than "Yes, I'll _die_ for my country!" it was more likely "What
the **** am I doing here?".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/5/2012 3:52 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
Lifted from rec.aviation.military:

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you
Jesus Christ and the _American_ [my emphasis] GI

A bit chauvinistic , isn't it? Pretty much every country's soldier was
willing to die for his country. At least to the same extent that the
American one was. And it's easy to exaggerate how much that was. Rather
than "Yes, I'll _die_ for my country!" it was more likely "What the ****
am I doing here?".

No soldier ever died for his country. Soldiers die for what the
political leadership of the country claims to be in the national
interest. There is no such thing as "national interest"; only
individual organic entities can have interests. Each tree in a forest
has some biological interest in surviving, but the forest has no such
interest; the forest is nothing but the abstract name we give to a
collection of living trees.

Seldom, if ever, does the supposed national interest coincide with the
individual interests of a majority of citizens, let alone all of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:52:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

A bit chauvinistic , isn't it? Pretty much every country's soldier was
willing to die for his country. At least to the same extent that the
American one was. And it's easy to exaggerate how much that was.
Rather than "Yes, I'll _die_ for my country!" it was more likely "What
the **** am I doing here?".

I was in the Navy, so maybe my thoughts don't count. But I was never willing to die for my country. At best I wanted the enemy to die for his country.

Dan

July 4th harry Home Repair 9 July 5th 10 05:10 PM
Need help with posts here from July TerryJ Electronic Schematics 1 November 9th 07 01:53 PM
Happy 5th of July!! Mike O. Woodworking 1 July 6th 07 06:30 AM
* Happy 5th of July * [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 5th 06 01:51 PM
OT. July 1st and 4th. Robatoy Woodworking 26 July 4th 05 01:53 AM