Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Miller[_2_] Bob Miller[_2_] is offline

Default July 4

On 7/5/2012 9:09 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:52:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

A bit chauvinistic , isn't it? Pretty much every country's soldier was
willing to die for his country. At least to the same extent that the
American one was. And it's easy to exaggerate how much that was.
Rather than "Yes, I'll _die_ for my country!" it was more likely "What
the **** am I doing here?".

I was in the Navy, so maybe my thoughts don't count. But I was never willing to die for my country. At best I wanted the enemy to die for his country.

Dan

I am reminded of a quote attributed to Gen. G.S.Patton. It was "you
don't win wars by dying for your country, you win wars by making the
other poor dumb son of a bitch die for his"