Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill bit question

I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is says
"Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:34:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is says
"Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

Steve

It means it will fit in a 3/8" chuck - AKA reduced shank.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in news:jslnat$c19$2
@speranza.aioe.org:

I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is says
"Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

It's a style of drill with a reduced shank so it will fit common power
drills and presses. Generally, sizes up to 1-1/8" have 1/2" shanks, with
flats on the larger sizes to prevent slipping.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Generally, sizes up to 1-1/8" have 1/2" shanks, with
flats on the larger sizes to prevent slipping.

should have said, "1/2" to 1-1/8"

I've seen smaller Silver & Deming bits than 1/2", but they'd only be of use
if you had a 1/4" or 3/8" limit on your chuck.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-29, Steve B wrote:
I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is says
"Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

It means that it has a 1/2 inch shank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 9:34*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. *On it is says
"Silver and Deming". *What does that mean?

Steve

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=1017
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is says
"Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

Steve

It means it will fit in a 3/8" chuck - AKA reduced shank.

Thanks. I learned something new. Now I gotta watch yard sales and fill in
on my 1/2"+ bit selection. This was $18, and I imagine I'll probably get a
dozen or so at a yard sale for the same money.

But I NEED this to put my boat rollers on, so I just bit the bullet.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is
says "Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

Steve

The 1/2" shank fits the largest MT2 (or B&S7) collet and permits a
hobby milling machine with limited Z axis travel drill large holes, in
steps. They slip more easily in the chuck or collet than a full-sized
shank. The ones with three lobes don't slip, instead they knock you
around when they grab and remind you to buy a bigger, slower drill.

A Jacobs 36 chuck that will take a 3/4" drill shank is over 3" long
and restricts the height of the work piece on a small mill or lathe.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's not difficult to add flats to a shank for the drill chuck jaws to seat
securely on.. a rotary tool/Dremel or often a file will effectively cut the
softer drill shank area.

--
WB

"BQ340" wrote in message
. com...

Those are notorious for slipping in the chuck, so if you can find the
S&D's with the 3 flats in the shank, grab them!

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-29, Steve B wrote:
I ponied up the bucks and bought a 5/8" steel drill bit. On it is says
"Silver and Deming". What does that mean?

That means that it has a reduced shank. I guess that they were
the first to commercially provide such drill bits, and now they are often
sold in sets under that name as a generic instead of a brand name.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

S and D with three flats? That's got to be tough to play, on a piano. Key of
A?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

SDS Drill Question TheScullster UK diy 6 August 3rd 10 12:14 AM
Drill bit question SteveB Metalworking 8 August 25th 07 08:45 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
Drill bit question James Metalworking 8 March 10th 05 03:36 PM