Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS Drill Question

Hi all

I got one of the cheap Aldi SDS drills about a month ago.
When I used it over the weekend something didn't seem right.
Using a straight SDS drill bit (ie no keyed chuck addition) I found that the
SDS chuck was effectively spring loaded.
By that I mean that as I offered the drill up to the wall, any pressure
resulted in the chuck moving back toward the drill body by about an inch
before coming to a hard stop and started to drill IYSWIM.
Have I managed to alter the chuck setting somehow without realising it?
The instructions are useless-to-misleading so no mileage in checking there.

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2010 13:50, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I got one of the cheap Aldi SDS drills about a month ago.
When I used it over the weekend something didn't seem right.
Using a straight SDS drill bit (ie no keyed chuck addition) I found that the
SDS chuck was effectively spring loaded.
By that I mean that as I offered the drill up to the wall, any pressure
resulted in the chuck moving back toward the drill body by about an inch
before coming to a hard stop and started to drill IYSWIM.
Have I managed to alter the chuck setting somehow without realising it?
The instructions are useless-to-misleading so no mileage in checking there.

Mine (cheapie non-trendy performance power B&Q) does that if the bit is
not engaged propery. Pull the collar back (direction of the drill) and
twist the bit until it slips and stops further into the drill.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote

Mine (cheapie non-trendy performance power B&Q) does that if the bit is
not engaged propery. Pull the collar back (direction of the drill) and
twist the bit until it slips and stops further into the drill.

--

Thanks Adrian

I'm pretty sure I tried re-seating the drill bit a couple of times, but I'll
have another go tonight.
Won't be drilling anything, but should be able to test anyway.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote

Usually the chuck does not move at all. You should be able to push/pull
the drill bit in and out of the chuck a bit (although probably not a whole
inch, more like 1/2")

Thanks John

Yes I was sure that was the case - but not having had the thing long...
One thing that gave the game away was the depth stop.
This suddenly became totally useless, as the drill would retract as soon as
it was introduced to the wall!

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I got one of the cheap Aldi SDS drills about a month ago.
When I used it over the weekend something didn't seem right.
Using a straight SDS drill bit (ie no keyed chuck addition) I found
that the SDS chuck was effectively spring loaded.
By that I mean that as I offered the drill up to the wall, any
pressure resulted in the chuck moving back toward the drill body by
about an inch before coming to a hard stop and started to drill
IYSWIM. Have I managed to alter the chuck setting somehow without
realising
it? The instructions are useless-to-misleading so no mileage in checking
there.

Try a bit of oil on the end of the bit, all the sds drills I have used have
all enjoyed a drink now and then

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I got one of the cheap Aldi SDS drills about a month ago.
When I used it over the weekend something didn't seem right.
Using a straight SDS drill bit (ie no keyed chuck addition) I found that
the SDS chuck was effectively spring loaded.
By that I mean that as I offered the drill up to the wall, any pressure
resulted in the chuck moving back toward the drill body by about an inch
before coming to a hard stop and started to drill IYSWIM.
Have I managed to alter the chuck setting somehow without realising it?
The instructions are useless-to-misleading so no mileage in checking
there.

That description matches both of the cheapo SDS drills I've had and sounds
normal to me. Having read your post earlier I happened to be using my SDS
this evening and sure enough that's exactly what it does.
The "spring loading" appears to be part of the hammer action. If you are
too gentle and cautiously tickle the wall with it it will bounce back out of
the hole, you really need to take charge and grip firmly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:50:25 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

By that I mean that as I offered the drill up to the wall, any pressure
resulted in the chuck moving back toward the drill body by about an inch
before coming to a hard stop and started to drill IYSWIM.

That is normal, the bit can slide in and out of the chuck about 1/2".
If you start the drill clear of the wall it will be bashed to the
furthest out position, until you take up the slack there will be
little effective drilling action.

The slack enables you to control how vicious the drilling action is.
High pressure will blast it's way quickly through almost anything and
cause a huge chunk of the material to burst off the face if drilling
through something. Light pressure, slow gentle drilling and no great
burst through.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Drill bit question SteveB Metalworking 8 August 25th 07 08:45 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
Drill bit question James Metalworking 8 March 10th 05 03:36 PM