Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stapling question

I have a DeWalt air powered stapler. Not a very big one, I'd have to go out
in the shop and get the number, but I would estimate the staples to be about
1/4" wide, maybe a little less if they are rated on a ga. system. They are
crown.

Can I use flat staples in it? Those that have a top made of right angles?
I need to staple some fabric to the plywood of a boat seat, and want it to
be flat without having to pound them in, and perhaps have them tear more of
a hole in the fabric than they already do. I do have a couple of Arrow
staplers if I need to go to those, and they have the right angle staples,
but air is so much easier.

Can I get the other shape of staples in the same size, and will they work in
it? Do they make the two shapes?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-22, Steve B wrote:
I have a DeWalt air powered stapler. Not a very big one, I'd have to go out
in the shop and get the number, but I would estimate the staples to be about
1/4" wide, maybe a little less if they are rated on a ga. system. They are
crown.

Can I use flat staples in it? Those that have a top made of right angles?
I need to staple some fabric to the plywood of a boat seat, and want it to
be flat without having to pound them in, and perhaps have them tear more of
a hole in the fabric than they already do. I do have a couple of Arrow
staplers if I need to go to those, and they have the right angle staples,
but air is so much easier.

Can I get the other shape of staples in the same size, and will they work in
it? Do they make the two shapes?

The striker is shaped to fit the top of the staple.

If you can get another striker to install in the air stapler,
that should work. However trying to drive the flat-topped staples with
a striker designed to fit the crowned staples, you will have a serious
problem.

You don't mention the model number -- but what I would suggest
that you do is to download the manual from DeWalt and see whether
alternate strikers are available -- and for that matter, whether they
are easy to interchange.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stapling question/redux

I went out last night, and looked at the stapler to get a number. The thing
clearly says crowned staples, but when looking at the staples, they are not
crowned like the ones that are used to anchor wire cables. They are mostly
square angles with a slightly rounded corner. I am going to the Borg today,
and will look at theirs to make sure there isn't one that is a full half
circle like those that go into telephone wire staplers, but I think this one
will suffice. And for once, I even got a whole box of staples.

Ah, finally going fishing.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/22/2012 9:36 AM, Steve B wrote:
I went out last night, and looked at the stapler to get a number. The thing
clearly says crowned staples, but when looking at the staples, they are not
crowned like the ones that are used to anchor wire cables. They are mostly
square angles with a slightly rounded corner. I am going to the Borg today,
and will look at theirs to make sure there isn't one that is a full half
circle like those that go into telephone wire staplers, but I think this one
will suffice. And for once, I even got a whole box of staples.

Ah, finally going fishing.

Steve

Tell me about the fishing! What's the prey? Want some new recipes?