Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default And we're no longer "lost in space"

SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 25, 9:57*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

Been watching this all day. Woo Hoo!
Saturday morning NASA TV will have coverage of the hatch opening.

I am now "officially" upgrading this from a Big Deal to a Huge Deal.
The future is upon us, folks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 18:15:20 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

It is an interesting moment, and a great cause to celebrate. Now NASA
will concentrate on deeper space. Forget about them being shut down.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/2012 1:15 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

Doubt it.

NASA will more likely become the regulating entity.
Government functions never go away - even if they are not needed anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader on Fri, 25 May 2012 18:15:20
+0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

Or better yet, NASA reverts to being the R&D section of aerospace
exploration.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome on Fri, 25 May 2012 18:15:20
+0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

Or better yet, NASA reverts to being the R&D section of aerospace
exploration.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr

I (unfortunately) doubt it, pytor.

R&D takes money. LOTS of money.
Administering is a lot less expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

And don't forget Bigelow Aerospace.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard on Fri, 25 May 2012 15:55:21 -0500
Cydrome on Fri, 25 May 2012 18:15:20
+0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

Or better yet, NASA reverts to being the R&D section of aerospace
exploration.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr

I (unfortunately) doubt it, pytor.

R&D takes money. LOTS of money.
Administering is a lot less expensive.

"they" managed once upon a time. And R&D is the sort of thing
which a government can fund. Long term or "blue sky" projects which
are not going to show a profit by the next quarterly report.
Incrementalism in the applied technologies.

The X-plane projects were inching their way into space flight.
Burt Rutan and the rest with Space Ship One, "merely" picked up where
NASA had left off in the sixties with the X-15 program: Launching a
manned aircraft from a mothership, and flying it to space. The
people in that program referred to the Mercury astronauts as "spam in
a can" - they were just along for the ride.
Grumble, grumble, not like when I was a boy. We were making
anti-gravity devices in the garage and taking the tree house to Mars.

--
pyotr filipivich
Old farts these days - not like when I was a boy! We used to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

Been watching this all day. Woo Hoo!
Saturday morning NASA TV will have coverage of the hatch opening.

I am now "officially" upgrading this from a Big Deal to a Huge Deal.
The future is upon us, folks.

It put a smile on my face!

I've worried that Putin would say, sorry, no more Soyuz flights, you Americans have
abandoned the ISS. It is ours now. Maybe that is a bit paranoid but you never know with
the soviets.

When will SpaceX have a man rated rocket? When that happens I'll be doing the fist pump
big time.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 5/25/2012 1:15 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
SpaceX DID IT!

LLoyd

This is a pretty interesting moment.

I hope it accelerates the shut down of nasa.

Doubt it.

Neither do I.

NASA will more likely become the regulating entity.

No, that will be the EPA.

Government functions never go away - even if they are not needed anymore.

Correct!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes fired this volley in
:

When will SpaceX have a man rated rocket? When that happens I'll be
doing the fist pump big time.

Technically, and by specifications, Dragon is already man-rated. It is
designed to transport both ways.

Of _course_ they have to prove that, but it's built into the design.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2012 6:01 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

Been watching this all day. Woo Hoo!
Saturday morning NASA TV will have coverage of the hatch opening.

I am now "officially" upgrading this from a Big Deal to a Huge Deal.
The future is upon us, folks.

It put a smile on my face!

I've worried that Putin would say, sorry, no more Soyuz flights, you Americans have
abandoned the ISS. It is ours now. Maybe that is a bit paranoid but you never know with
the soviets.

When will SpaceX have a man rated rocket? When that happens I'll be doing the fist pump
big time.

Wes

Wes,

Who is going to rate that rocket as man rated?

NASA?

Or SpaceX?

In the end, of course, it's the insurance companies.

But if NASA, as a government entity, is allowed to do the rating,
what standards would they use?

NASA's?
NASA went broke running to NASA standards.

And NASA is not in the manned space business - at the moment.

Back on topic,

Let them run cargo for a while.
Hone the new technology to a fine edge.
To the point where they feel confident that they feel like they CAN
loft a man and get him back.